Any Body else done this ?

rivermudcat

Cadet
After many good years in my 83 17 ft bass tracker, the mercury went out and the transom finally rotted . Well after further inspection i found all the foam under the seats was water logged and mostly rotten . So since the hull was still in good shape only a few leaky rivets to rebuild it . I have started totally gutting the boat my plan is to make it into utility type Jon boat , Has anybody ever done this with a bass tracker hull ? my next question is I'm thinking Of converting it over to a tiller type boat and running a 30-35 horsepower outboard , It would do about 30 miles an hour with the fifty horse . I was thinking since im removing the seats and all there would be a enough weight reduction that i could get away with the smaller motor ? any input would be great , thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Any Body else done this ?

Welcome to iboats.

Modifying a hull you need to be aware of a few things. Console boats are rated for higher HP then a tiller of the same design. If you remove the console you will have a lower HP rating for the same hull.

Removing seats and changing structure will adversely effect the hull. The sides of the hull will become floppy and overall you must do the right things to make it solid and seaworthy.

I'm with Bob, but here's my 2 cents FWIW.

I would replace the foam and transom and keep it as is. Why would you want to change everything and make it a tiller? You can buy a basic used aluminum boat for something like you want to do for a fairly cheap price?there?s a 17ft aluminum Sea Nymph side console in CL for $1000. Of course?it?s your boat and you can do what you wish and maybe this is the best option? Pix would help with advice.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Tend to agree....you can actually by a brand new jon boat 16' for around 1K (just the hull). Aluminum boats are easy to restore...why not just repair it? Going to a 35HP is no problem.

rivermudcat

Cadet

the reason i wanna change is it i do a lot of bow fishing and hunting and the bass boat layout doesn't work for me , i plan on bracing where the seats are and putting shooting platforms front and rear , plus i just like tiller motors and wanna lighten the whole set up i already have all the stuff for the conversion , plus i have a small flat bottom that works well but i like the bigger hull

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem is:
Most Jon boats have the bench seats that run across the boat. This is what supports the boat in the middle.

Almost all aluminum boats are flimsy without support. Whether it be benches, railing, gunnells, stringers, whatever.

Those bass trackers get all of their structure from the front and rear casting deck frames.

Plus you already have shooting platforms front and rear.