Fuel tank inspection

jstaz

Seaman
I am trying to see if there is any corrosion or junk in the fuel tank. I see the fuel filler hose is cracked a little near the tank but not sure if it is cracked all the way through. There is no window or cap to look into the tank directly. Only the hose holes. They however connect to a 90 degree elbow so peering through that hole isnt going to work. It is a metal tank. The outside looks fine. That tells little about the inside. The access panel I removed to get to the tank is not a big enough hole I dont think to get the tank out. I have not tried that yet however.

How could I make sure the tank is clean before I put a new motor on and prevent the new one from getting crap in it? The old motor died not due to crap in the fuel FYI.

Any help would be great! Thanks everyone.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel tank inspection

The old motor died not due to crap in the fuel FYI.

Ayuh,... In that case, I would assume the tank is Full of Crud....

gss036

Commander

You don't give very much to work with here. Is there fuel sender on the tank, if so that can be removed. If not maybe it is time for a good RACOR fuel filter.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

+1 with the fuel sender hole. Remove it and look in with a flashlight and mirror. Just to be on the safe side, add an in-line spin on fuel filter/water separator.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm with 431 except I would leave the tank and sending unit alone. Even if you took the sender off you probably will not be able to see all of the tank - - far corners, baffles, etc. The filter/seperator will tell you if you have any crud in the tank - - check it frequently.