Help needed with 1977 Evinrude 55hp carb problems

HickByte

Recruit
Hello,

I'm trying to cleanup a bad gas situation on a boat I just bought. The previous owner had the carbs rebuilt in Sep2010 but it's been sitting up since I bought (Feb2011).

Anyway, I have had the carbs off about a 1/2 dozen times now (trying different things).
What I think I need now is the more info.... like:
- upper and lower jets initial settings (when I put it back together)?
- which one is the idle jet?

The motor will crank and run, but dies when trying to shift (forward / reverse) when manuvering around the trailer or docking. It also has erratic running at full throttle, surging or missing (rpms never reach max).

Thanks for any help offered,
--wg

HickByte

Recruit
Re: Help needed with 1977 Evinrude 55hp carb problems

I'm not sure how to close a thread.... but, I got my answer from the "top secrets". I disassembled and soaked the carbs,
re-assembled and followed the advice for the hi/lo jet init settings from "top secrets" and it appears to be running just fine now. I'm tempted to fiddle with fine tuning them but don't know if I'm smart enough.

From top-secrets I also learned the top jet is the idle or slow speed, which makes the bottom one the hi speed.

Thanks for the forum,
--wg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If oyu have old fual line replace it with alcohol resistant line and get all of it espacially under the cowl and get an inline filter, cheapy from Auto Zone is fine, and you will avoid 98% of future carb problems.

Also if it is going to set up for more than a month or so drain the float bowls to keep from getting varnish in your nice clean jets.

James R

Commander

You can avoid most carb problems by using Stabil. If you don't then expect problems. Not necessary to drain carbs with Stabil.
All my motors use it.