Has anybody used surface drives?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Has anybody used surface drives?

They use them on those big, off-shore, go-fast racing boats, supposed to be very low drag and efficient for racing applications. Maybe Cigarette, Fountain, others, use them. They throw a large, distinctive rooster-tail behind the boat. That's all I know about them...

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always been interested in them. I know they are VERY expensive. But even for a smaller bowrider, lets say you top out at 50. You may be able to prop it to get to 60 with such a reduction in drag. But then, you'd be able to cruise still at say 35 MPH, but use a lot less fuel due to the reduction in drag.

If I had the money, I'd be interested in them. But of course, it would probably suck having the drive sticking way off the back of the boat for swimming and tubing and stuff like that.

I still want one.

Steve

scoutboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I actually stumbled across them when looking into jet drives. I love swimming, so the idea of not having a prop on smaller boats is great for me. I know this puts it farther out in the way, I just hadn't seen them before.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out Q-SPD drives....theirs look a lot less expensive and they say they don't require an extended swim platform. I wish they listed prices.

Steve

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Something to consider for a surface drive. It takes A LOT of power to get up on plane. Until the boat is up, the prop is submerged for the most part. Now take a look at the shape and pitch of that prop, and imagine starting from a dead stop. You won't be popping up a water skier very easy!