1986 fourwins gm 4.3, omc outdrive with water leak

chvnva

Cadet
I was going out for a day out boating for the first time this season. After unloading the boat and taking it to the dock, I noticed that the water pump was pumping out a good amount of water. Did not think of it much at first. I drove the boat out a little and noticed the water pump still pumping out water!! I opened the engine cover and noticed that it was full of water!! I drove the boat back to the dock and loaded the boat back on the trailer. I opened the drain **** and let all the water drain out. Checked for any holes or cracks around the outdruive and lower body of the boat and found nothing. I backed the boat back into the water and watched the engine compartment for any leaks. Nothing. I started up the motor and saw water coming out near the engine head behind the power stearing pump. There is a good size hole there but not an hole from a breakage or anything of that sort. Looks like a freeze plug hole. Could the winter have popped out a freeze plug? Lets me know what you think. Thanks!

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1986 fourwins gm 4.3, omc outdrive with water leak

Sounds like you definately found it.Iwould also put the ear muffs on it and check the seal on the water pump also.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep,<br />Sure Sounds like Frost Damage...........<br />If by chance you're Extremely Lucky,<br />That'll be the Only Damage............

chvnva

Cadet

thanks for the feed back,,,,if everything else checks out, can I just put another freeze plug in? thanks again!!

Bondo

Staff member

If All Else is Fine......<br />And you can Find It,<br />The Original Plug can be Reinstalled..............

chvnva

Cadet

ok, thanks. Will look for the original plug. If I find it, do I just "stick" it back in? Any special adheisive needed? The hole where it goes in will be hard to get to, it is behind the motor mount.....

chvnva

Cadet

Found the original plug!! It was laying on the motor mount. I will need to get a cherry picker in there to hold the motor in place while I take the motor mount out of the way. Maybe I will get lucky and nothing else is damaged. Thanks!

chvnva

Cadet

Any ideas on how to "winterize" my boat for next year? This is my first inboard. Thanks.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Well since it froze I'll guess it's raw water cooled. Best thing to do is to completely drain the block and manifold. Should be a drain plug somewhere on the block and on each manifold, not sure where on the 4.3. If you can't drain it, the other option is to flush it with antifreeze. "Easiest" way to do this is to get about a 5-10 gallon container full of antifreeze mix that you can attach a small length of garden hose to, and run the enigne on the muffs using this mixture until the bucket is empty. You have to gravity feed the muffs, meaning make sure the bucket is higher than the impeller (rest the bucket on the transom for example). Make sure you kill the engine before you run the bucket completely dry so you don't cook your impeller! Try to catch the exhaust water if you can, or use environmentally friendly antifreeze.<br /><br />Some engines also have a flush attachment, look for a small metal hose with a garden-hose size fitting on the end. You could potentially flush the antifreeze in through there.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you get that hole pluged run the boat on the hose and check the engine oil for water content.

chvnva

Cadet

Well, I put in a new freeze plug and ran the engine with a hose and found another leak. It is coming from a thing that looks like a water junction device. It has two larger hoses on each end and two smaller ones in the side. It is attatched to the upper rear engine block behing the distrib. cap. One large hose goes to the water pump and the other large hose goes to the outdrive. Have not found out where the smaller hoses go yet. It is quite hard to get to!! I was thinking about taking off the left (as looking down at the engine) manafold off to have easier access to the device but don't want to create more leaks. Does the manfold come off and go back on with ease? Or will I have to "hunt" down a gasket and mess with gasket sealant? I really suck at that stuff!! Let me know, thanks!! ****The freeze plug was pretty easy to "pop" back in after removing the motor mount. Also used an engine hoist to hold the engine in place. Thanks for the pointers!!