Battery question

mphy98

Lieutenant
So is there really any difference between a car starting battery and a marine starting battery? I want to add an additional battery to my boat and one will be an optima car battery that I bought for a vehicle last year and never installed it, so is there any difference? Also I have heard that I might not want to use an optima on a 1986 mercury black max 135hp. Any help here?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Battery question

I was told by a battery dealer once that marine batteries are built heavier inside to withstand the constant jarring of a boat ride. The jarring and bouncing around doesn't happen in cars.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Maybe....

In my world I live on a dirt road surrounded by roads with potholes. Pretty much any boat ride I take will likely be more comfortable for my marine battery than my auto battery.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm no battery expert but one huge difference I've seen is the price and the warranty. You might get one or two year warranty on a marine battery... but for a car you can get a prorated 8 year warranty for the same or cheaper price.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, seems like once the word "Marine" is attached you get the marine tax too. Buy it at a marine store (West Marine) and you get the double tax!

So, I am like mphy too...

Anybody out there know the difference?

tin

Seaman

Here is what I found and suspected would be the answer.........." * A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.
* A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates. "

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is what I found and suspected would be the answer.........." * A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.
* A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates. "

The information you provided is correct -- however the discussion regards a car "starting" battery vs a "marine" starting battery. Both are very different than a "marine/RV Deep Cycle" battery. There are three basic types of marine batteries 1) starting 2) deep cycle 3) dual purpose.

mailman55

Seaman Apprentice

The information you provided is correct -- however the discussion regards a car "starting" battery vs a "marine" starting battery. Both are very different than a "marine/RV Deep Cycle" battery. There are three basic types of marine batteries 1) starting 2) deep cycle 3) dual purpose.

I understand the 1. starting 2. deep cycle, but what class or size would the dual purpose battery be in comparison to the other two?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Outwardly -- both threaded posts and standard battery posts on a marine batter. Internally -- heavier plates and shock/vibration protection. Will either one work. Sure but you may have to switch cable ends on the battery cables.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I understand the 1. starting 2. deep cycle, but what class or size would the dual purpose battery be in comparison to the other two?

Size (group #) is the same across all three battery types. A group size 24 is the same whether its a starting, deep cycle or dual purpose. Dual Purpose is just as the name implies -- it can be used for both starting and deep cycle purposes. Only issue is whether it can do both jobs as well as a starting or deep cycle.

NYBo

Admiral

Since you already have it, go ahead and use it. It will start your Merc with juice to spare. Its lifespan may well be shortened from the pounding of the boat, but it's not doing you any good sitting in your garage, is it?:)

mphy98

Lieutenant

ok so it looks to me like I will use the two newer auto batteries. I figure if they last a couple of years it is better than sitting on the bench in the pole barn. But will the optima hurt the mercury? I have read that it messes up the stators?

sasto

Captain

Optima batteries can take a pounding more than most other marine batteries. We used them in dirt track race cars and of froad trucks. You will be in the chiropractors office before damaging that battery.

What type is it? Yellow or red?

NYBo

Admiral

But will the optima hurt the mercury? I have read that it messes up the stators?
I don't see how that could happen. Maybe the battery won't charge properly, but that would be a battery problem, not a stator problem. Perhaps Mercury Marine customer service could give you a definitive answer (which you could then pass on to the rest of us).

Mphy,

I believe the problem is that the Optima battery is a gel cell type battery as opposed to wet cell or AGM. Gel cells (as well as AGMs)have unique charging profiles that most OEM charging regulators do not match. Therefore, the charger curcuit of your motor will try to most likely continuously over charge or under charge your battery when running. If your regularly charge between outings you probabaly won't notice a difference. It could shorten battery life over the long term though.