Tilt/Trim Question

abwilso2

Cadet
I recently replaced the tilt/trim motor on my 1993 225hp Evinrude OP. The motor seems to work fine but some fluid came out while replacing it. So i added some more fluid today and trimmed it up and down and added fluid a few times until the last time when i opened up the plastic fill cap, a "bubbly" or "foamy" liquid came pouring out. I am curious if this means there is still air in the system or if this is just normal.

Also I was just wondering the motor no longer struggles or makes a "gurggling" sound like it did when it needed more fluid, however when it is close to being trimmed all the way up or down it makes a slight "grinding" sound, i am wondering if maybe some dirt or something got into it when i replaced the motor or if this is normal and i am worrying about something that i just didnt notice before.

thanks in advance for all your help

Andrew

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Tilt/Trim Question

Are you sure the grinding noise isn't very high compression spitting?
Could still be a few bubbles in there.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's a "grinding" noise it could be you have a stern bracket that needs lubing or corroeded pivot points making the noise.

abwilso2

Cadet

well i believe this is suppose to be a "self bleeding" system so i am not sure how to tell if there are still bubbles in it?

abwilso2

Cadet

not sure how to tell if it is high compression spitting...or actually what is high compression spitting?

James R

Commander

When the system reaches full extension, either way, you will get what appears to be a grinding sound. This is usually the pressure relief rattling.
The foamy fluid is air mixed with the oil. Air is purged from the system when it is operated and collects in the reservoir. Nothing to to be concerned about. Run it for a while and then check the level.