Fuel line hose

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
I can't get a straight answer by searching the web so I'd thought I'd come to the experts. I was at my local Lowes looking to upgrade my feul line fom 1/4 inch to 3/8inch. The other reason is I added another fuel tank and the tank selector uses 3/8". So anyway, looking in the hardware store they only have 1/4" fuel hose and 3/8" heavy duty air hose. Will the air hose work? This stuff is beefy and reaaly thick. It has a red shell and inside is a thick tube of what looks like rubber. I know ethenol will deteriorate some rubber over time, but Stabil may help. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel line hose

Not sure if I'd use the air hose. It may not be fuel resistant. Most auto parts stores carry 3/8 fuel line hose and sell it by the foot. NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys etc.

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup dont use air hose, i buy the fuel line at auto parts but even it messes up after a season with todays gas, so i just replace it every year dont cost that much anyway..

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OR--- you can go into Wal-Mart and buy the alcohol resistant grey generic fuel hose with primer bulb for about 12 bucks.

fishe

Cadet

$3.84 a foot at West Marine, I'm sure 3/8 is cheaper elsewhere though. I heard that you use fuel hose and only fuel hose, also, replace it every year.

rickryder

Commander

You must use CG approved fuel line not automotive.....

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I run regular automotive fuel hose but... its all above deck. If you've got below deck lines you probably should use CG approved stuff, I think it has better vapor barriers in it so less fuel evaporates out of the hose and into your bilge causing possibly explosive situations!

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks fellows, you gave me alot to think about. All my tanks are above deck so I'll try an auto parts store tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Tom

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I found fuel hose at Advanced auto parts for $1.50 per foot. This is high pressure fuel injector hose. I asked the guy ,whats the difference. He said that FI hoses are more durible than carb hose due to the increased pressures caused by the injector. He also stated that this hose is alcohol and ethonal resistant and will not delaminate for 5 years. (we'll see)

I also added another fuel tank along with a tank selector valve. The only problem I am having is where do i put the bulb. Where I have the bulb now, I squeeze for about 20 minutes and nothing. I have a 1/4 tank of gas, and when i squeeze I get just air. Now it worked last weekend. All I did this weekend, is putting in the selector switch. The check valves in the bulb are good, have the switch on the correct tank. Why is my bulb not sucking up gas? Here is a diagram of how I set it up. Any help would be great.

Fuel set-up.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That's how I would install the primer bulb. Is the tank vent open? Also the total length of the hose between the tanks, selector switch and the motor should be as short as practically possible. I'm making an assumption here that you having issues with the tank that you added and it's a portable one??? Check the fuel pickup and the shape of the bottom of the tank. The fuel pickup may not go all the way to the bottom, so if you are very low on gas and the tank is slightly tilted in the wrong direction it may not reach any gas. Maybe the tank selector switch is bad or works just the opposite of how you think it should?

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, All grey alcohol resistant type fuel lines should be replaced every 2 or 3 years?

NYBo

Admiral

I run regular automotive fuel hose but... its all above deck. If you've got below deck lines you probably should use CG approved stuff, I think it has better vapor barriers in it so less fuel evaporates out of the hose and into your bilge causing possibly explosive situations!
All fuel line is required to be USCG-approved regardless of whether it is above deck or below.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

The only thing I can come up with is a bad bulb pump or a clog in the vent hose(unlikely). Plus my lines are a little too long so I will make them as short as possible. Can a bulb pump stop working in one years time? It woked last weekend to run the motor. I took the switch out of the equation and still no fuel, thats why I think it's the bulb.