Electrical Distribution Question

TeamPCBeach

Seaman
Anyone have an idea where Doral typically puts a distribution panel in the engine room.

Spent our first night out on our 1999 300SE this weekend. Woke up in the morning and the STBD battery was dead (5Vdc). Generator was still running so did some trouble shooting and figured out we have a bad battery charger. The problem with the STBD being dead is that both the bilge pump and the engine room blower are tied to the STBD battery, so they were also dead. This is what caused it to go dead as we had the blower running with the generator. Only one positive cable goes to the battery so the cables for those (and the AM/FM/CD player) have to be tied in some place.

Tried to use the BOOST button to start STBD after PORT was running, but no luck. Ended up moving the HOUSE battery to STBD and running the accessory cables to the PORT battery. This let us get home on both engines, use the windlass to retrieve the anchor and have NAV electronics.

Going to replace the battery charger this weekend, but don't like the idea of things like the AM/FM radio being tied to the starting battery. :(

sasto

Captain
Re: Electrical Distribution Question

This is an instance where I don't agree with most engineers and some boatbuilders. I don't like my bilge pump, or anything else, running straight off a battery. I like mine on the common post of the battery switch. If you have any accessories, along with bilge pump running off the common post of the switch, the generator should have been able to keep the battery charged (provided there is an altenator on generator).

I hope I'm understanding you correctly, PCBeach.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have an idea where Doral typically puts a distribution panel in the engine room.

Spent our first night out on our 1999 300SE this weekend. Woke up in the morning and the STBD battery was dead (5Vdc). Generator was still running so did some trouble shooting and figured out we have a bad battery charger. The problem with the STBD being dead is that both the bilge pump and the engine room blower are tied to the STBD battery, so they were also dead. This is what caused it to go dead as we had the blower running with the generator. Only one positive cable goes to the battery so the cables for those (and the AM/FM/CD player) have to be tied in some place.

Tried to use the BOOST button to start STBD after PORT was running, but no luck. Ended up moving the HOUSE battery to STBD and running the accessory cables to the PORT battery. This let us get home on both engines, use the windlass to retrieve the anchor and have NAV electronics.

Going to replace the battery charger this weekend, but don't like the idea of things like the AM/FM radio being tied to the starting battery. :(

G'Day TeamPCBeach,

The 376 Elegante has a distribution panel on the for'ard bulkhead next to the charger.
I have had my charger replaced (much younger than yours) due to failure possibly caused by the way it was installed. (directly onto a conductive surface is no good for modern electronic chargers).
Your AM/FM and CD etc. should be running off your house battery not your start battery. The Elegante runs the blowers off Port not STBD but same thing if the battery is run down too far the boost will not work, the STBD battery needs replacing as it has dropped below half for a decent period and will only keep letting you down from here on.
Note, I have not mentioned the bilge pump! I'm hoping it was not running all night:eek:

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

BSAFlash,

I think mine is in the same place now that you mention it. Just above the generator on the bulkhead is a grey box. On top of the box are three fuse holders, pump 1, pump 2 and memory. I am sure this is the spot since the memory fuse is actually to the am/fm radio. Will check it out when I install the new charger on Friday.

I am hoping the STBD battery is OK. It is a brand new gel cell, less than two weeks old.

And no, the bilge was not running all night. The STBD battery is what I would consider the most important battery on the 300SE. Since it powers the blower, bilge pump and the power steering is plumbed to the STBD engine.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

BSAFlash,

I think mine is in the same place now that you mention it. Just above the generator on the bulkhead is a grey box. On top of the box are three fuse holders, pump 1, pump 2 and memory. I am sure this is the spot since the memory fuse is actually to the am/fm radio. Will check it out when I install the new charger on Friday.

I am hoping the STBD battery is OK. It is a brand new gel cell, less than two weeks old.

And no, the bilge was not running all night. The STBD battery is what I would consider the most important battery on the 300SE. Since it powers the blower, bilge pump and the power steering is plumbed to the STBD engine.

Hope you are right with the battery, I had a new one installed in my car that went completely flat when new. It lasted less than 12 mths after the initial problem!
Glad to hear the bilge pump wasn't running, I had images of water pouring in through the deck as the rain poured down;)