A repair manual question.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to get a Repair manual. Engine is a 73' 65HP Johnson.

I could by a Seloc, which I've never looked at before. They cover multiple engine sizes.

OR, I could by a 70HP OMC service manual from a 74'
This engine is VERY similar to the 73' 65hp.

Which one should I get. Will I have lots of bad info by being a 74 vs a 73 and a 70hp vs a 65hp?

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A repair manual question.

I need to get a Repair manual. Engine is a 73' 65HP Johnson.

I could by a Seloc, which I've never looked at before. They cover multiple engine sizes.

OR, I could by a 70HP OMC service manual from a 74'
This engine is VERY similar to the 73' 65hp.

Which one should I get. Will I have lots of bad info by being a 74 vs a 73 and a 70hp vs a 65hp?

As ancient mariner says,outboardbooks.com and get the right one for your model.It may seem expensive but cheap in the long run.
Geoff69

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Check Ebay to, they usually have the one you need but ya, stay away from Seloc,Clymers or anything on CD, they cover alot of engines and none in detail, the factory manual covers your engine period, worth the money the first time you use it.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I had this issue.. I picked a boat up from a fella.. He gave me a manual for a 73.. Wasn't the correct year.. Mine was a 72... Well right around there they went to the manual shift... It was a big pain... No one knows how to fool with a ol electric shift even on here..I had to figure most of it out on my own...

I recommend ya get the one that's the correct year.. Seloc or not

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think it greatly depends on how mechanically inclined you are. In all my years of working on outboards, I have used Selocs and don't really have any complaints. Of course, I had years of mechanical experience on just about everything else, before I took on outboards.

yorab

Ensign

I think that 1946Zephyr is the first person that I've seen have the same opinion as me: the Seloc is okay. However, I use a Seloc in conjuction with an official 1964 OMC service manual. My motor is a 1963. I've had no problems yet concerning the difference of 1 year. Keep in mind though that your year/hp discrepancy could be a problem. You'll need some specific advice that I can't give about your year/hp.

By the way, many libraries have, or can get, the Seloc manuals. It's a good way to borrow it. I would personally advise you to get the official factory service manual as well.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Seloc... My lord they cry if you mention it on here. I use one on my boat(came with it) and haven't ever had a problem... I also have the OEM on on my computer... I sometimes just print off what I need, and when done.. Wipe the dipstick off with the paper...