Sounder function

threedogs333

Cadet
At what speed should I expect my sounder to stop functioning. I have a Navman 4350 sounder, which performs well, but at any speed above a fast idle, it ceases to work. the transducer is mounted as per the manafacturers specifications, but the old sounder had a drop down plate mounted to the transom to lower it deeper into the water, should i use this or is this the maximum speed that they work at. when i say stops functioning, i mean the sounder still works but the transducer is no longer receiving a clear bottom return signal and the screen blanks out. i hope i have explained my problem clearly, but feel free to flame me if I have been too obscure.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sounder function

My sounder will mark fish at WOT which is @ 40 mph. Just holding bottom would be a much higher speed.

Anything on the hull that creates turbulence in front of the transducer will cause problems. Here is an installation manual for the Airmar P66. Read through the installation instructions carefully. It addresses orientation, location, mounting angles, etc.
http://airmartechnology.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-247-03.pdf