egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How long until the engine falls in?

Note the water draining out of the 'hole test'
IMG_1225.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Is this bad? (Transom)

Well that means at the very least there is water in there. How did the wood look? Seeing that though means it needs to be fixed. Click my links in my sig to see just what you have in store.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

take a few more samples and look at the wood coming out of the hole

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well that means at the very least there is water in there. How did the wood look? Seeing that though means it needs to be fixed. Click my links in my sig to see just what you have in store.

They looked A little dark. I drilled a hole on the port side same area but again kinda dark.

Major bummer, passed the knock test when I bought it. Seller wasn't about to let me drill holes.

This isn't nearly as bad as my previous boat, before I knew anything. The transom cracked the gel coat and the OB was sagging a lot! Used it all the time for 5 years and it's still together today. I sold it though. Tht being said I figure I can wait a year or two before doing this. I need time to save up for an engine lift and materials.

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some other shots of the transom, looks good from the 'undrilled' perspective. I paid $2000 for this boat and its nearly 30 years old, rot is to be expected i suppose this all appears original. I just hope the borrowed time I'm running on doesn't sink me before I get around to it! I hate to say it, and you'll think I'm stupid but this wont stop me from putting in as long as it looks good structuraly. Am I insane?

Any exposed wood you can see is firm and not wet. These pictures were before I drilled.
DSC05322.jpg

DSC05325.jpg

DSC05327.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05324.jpg

DSC05321.jpg

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Picture Removed to reduce confusion

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, this guy thought his transom was "Good to Go" but....

I always think of 3 things before I go on the water, Safety, Safety, Safety. Remember you Can't stand up in 80 ft of water!!!!!!

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always think of 3 things before I go on the water, Safety, Safety, Safety. Remember you Can't stand up in 80 ft of water!!!!!!

I thought this was a transom repair gone bad? I saw it before

I boat in 5-8 ft of water on a 1/4 mile River. Still safety first.

Friscoboater

Captain

The engine will not fall of like that with an I/O but it can still crack the hull and let alot of water in. I cannot tell from the pictures, but if the wood was dark, it has rot. I firmly believe that all transoms will rot over time.

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine will not fall of like that with an I/O but it can still crack the hull and let alot of water in. I cannot tell from the pictures, but if the wood was dark, it has rot. I firmly believe that all transoms will rot over time.

I agree. The two holes i drilled where the parts where the wood was darkest against the fiberglass, probably 20% of what's below the water line that appears dark against the glass. The rest is probably rotted, just not to where it can be see in the surface. The other thing is they put an additional peice of wood between the outrive and the engine; so whatever is under that is probably in distress too.

I'll just have to take it easy this year. I need more time and money before I can tackle this. If i start to see evidence of stress I'll stop using it. My wife wanted a cheap boat; as if it would cost less!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

As soon as the water run out of the test hole it told you the wood is soaked. It's a complete replacement anyway you look at it...

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As soon as the water run out of the test hole it told you the wood is soaked. It's a complete replacement anyway you look at it...

I agree; doesn't matter if some of the wood is dry; and if there is water coming out of it it must be soaked, unless some snuck in between the glass and the wood I doubt that. If I'm going to do it I'm going all the way; no sense in trying to sell it I'll probably just end up in the same boat (pun intended).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Look at the positive side though...as long as it's soaked with water, it won't catch fire! :D

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

DSC05322.jpg

the wood in that picture actually doesnt look bad at all...

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

firm, dry and not sealed. ;)
It would seem that just about all of my transom except for a little south of the outdrive is in good shape. can't i just use something like git rot to harden it up?? its a shame to replace mostly good wood. There are no signs of stress on this thing.

WastinGas

Seaman Apprentice

Thats got to be the worst day every. did he get hydro-locked?