Handling differences bow mt vs transom mt

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a used 17 ft aluminum Lund I just bought. Dry weight for this boat is listed at about 950 lbs. It came with a 36 lb Minn Kota bow mount that doesn't work after putting power to it several times. I do have a 36 lb transom mount Minn Kota from my old jon boat that I could use on this Lund. Will the transom mount allow me to fish in relatively calm waters with a boat of this size and weight? And what difference would there be in handling between bow vs transom mount?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Handling differences bow mt vs transom mt

In the handling department, there is no comparison between bow mount and transom mount. Bow mounts pull you into and out of position, through stumpy bays, around rocks etc. A transom mount cannot control the boat anywhere near as easily as a bow mount. In windy conditions the bow mount is also superior as you can keep the bow into the wind. With a transom mount a side wind will alway try to spin the bow around. Your 36# transom mount will move the boat but it will be working pretty hard and you will find a higher speed setting is required than would be necessary on a bigger motor. Don't know what model Lund you have but a single or dual console model that size would typically be fitted with a 50 or 55# thrust minimum.

bassman284

Commander

In addition, 36 lb is going to be a little light for that boat, especially on the transom. My 17 ft Lund is 850 dry and originally had a 47 lb Maxxum on it which did pretty well, but the performance in wind leads me to think the 36 won't get it done for you. I now have a 55 lb Powerdrive V2 which does fine but not really that much more than the 47.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just picked up a nice 74 lb transom mount. Hopefully will get the job done.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do realize that's a 24 volt motor and that you need two batteries to power it??????

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think the 74 will be plenty strong for that size boat.