first time restoration

ok i was working @ a tow yard bout a year ago & i had aquired a seaswirl 17ft i beleave its a 1970's seaswirl. I have just referbished the trailer & now im going to work on the boat. But, the condition i aquired it in was pirdy much a shell; theres no motor, the stearing linkage was chopped on the stern & theres no stearing wheal, the fiberglass is scratched up good theres a few deep scratches that the trailer/previous owner had created :facepalm: .. theres also a few cracks where the windsheald had bin, theres bubbles or bumps all along the hull, & the seats are rotting & falling apart.....im needing some very cheep pointers cause im no longer working @ the tow yard & im wanting to be able to get the boat goin again.
In fixing the deap scratches could i fill them with resin or do i have to sand it down?
How do i fix the bumps/bubbles? do i have to sand the hull down?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: first time restoration

Welcome aboard redneckgunner!!

I am going to move this over to the Restoration section as you'll get a more focused response over there. Poke around there too. Lots of good info in other threads as well. Good luck!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard, redneckgunner,.....

We like Pictures here,... Ya get Better answers with 'em....

Have a look around here in the Drydock,...
All the answers to All yer questions have been asked, 'n answered with several different variations of several different ways to go about any particular problem ya might have....

So,... To generally answer yer Questions,..... Yes..... ;)

jonesg

Admiral

Where are you located, salem Ma or Carolina?

Craigslist is your freind, I see steering cable setups including steering wheel cheap all the time.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lets see the bumps........you might have boat pox.......and no....there is no quick cure....no pill....just more hard work than you want.

lets see em...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sell it and invest in another project.... IMPO ( Im sure many are going to agree after seeing your pics ).

YD.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Wow extremely bad boat pox....lot of work and even then not 100% sure it will be cured..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Seats, steering, motor, controls, windshield, blisters, other bits and pieces, this adds up to a ton of money and a lot of work for an old free(?) boat.

So how do you stop this new system from repeating words..."and" in this case, its done this to me several times.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That boat needs to be QUARANTEED It's got the POX BAD!!!!! NO Cure!!! Bury IT!!!!

yea i got it free & its my first boat project so im happy with what i did on it so far i revamped the trailer good

ssn756

Seaman

What's boat pox? Is that moisture under the gelcoat?

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with every one else. Cut it up haul it off and sell the trailer or keep it(the trailer) and try to find a boat that will fit it. Then start over and look for one with out blisters(now that you know what they are. You will be much more pleased with your end result.

I do not want to be an eternal pecimist but lets say you spend 3 to 5000 on the restore and 3 years later you are washing her and OHC where did that bump come from.

I see restorable boats on craigs list almost on a weekly basis for 500 or less. BTW never pay the asking price. If it is to good to believe guess what it really is.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Redneck, I'm afraid I'd have to echo what the others are saying. If you put $2000 into the boat, you still have a 1000 dollar boat. Keep looking at Craigslist in Salem, Albany, Corvalis, and Eugene. Boats come and go all the time. Heck, just drive around through neighborhoods - there are tons of boats with for sale signs on them.

Looks like you've done a great job on the trailer, but that boat is just too far gone. At least when you're looking again, you'll know you have a good trailer.

Give me a shout. I'm in Salem as well.