MCM 140 Problems keep getting better and better

matthew colgate

Seaman Apprentice
Here we go again lol I ordered my impeller kit this morning and went out in the drive way to visualize the replacement procedure and I was looking at the motor and saw coolant running down the side of the block coming from behind the exhaust manifold :( .
So I got my flashlight and looked from bottom behind exhaust manifold and what did I see J.B. Weld :mad: . I checked the oil and there is no water or coolant in the oil . Here is my question this motor runs really well how big of a deal is this ? And can this be fixed by a machine shop or am i going to need a new motor block ? In a way I kinda feel like I have been burnt but then again I dont because of the actual money I have in the boat . I just need it to last this season and maybe the next . And finally does anyone know a good reputable and decent priced place to get another engine block ?

P.S.
This is a Mercruiser MCM 140 with open cooling system there is coolant in the motor because of winterization.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MCM 140 Problems keep getting better and better

I checked the oil and there is no water or coolant in the oil . Here is my question this motor runs really well how big of a deal is this ?

Ayuh,... There are thousands upon thousands of cracked blocks out there Still runnin' just Fine...
There's no reason to call a Machine Shop, or replacin' the block,..
As long as there's No Water in the Oil....

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: MCM 140 Problems keep getting better and better

If you search 3.0 cracked block repair you should get a ton of posts about it