Volvo 280 leg.

Stour-boy

Cadet
Hi Guys, Got a question, Why are the four Alllen bolts that hold the top bearing housing on to the upper housing made of ferrous steel and not stainless steel,it seems odd to me to put stainless everywhere else. Especially when they cost ?4 each. :confused::mad:
Thinking about this, would the s/s bolts stretch under load, if this is so other bearing housings would also use ferrous bolts. But they dont.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 280 leg.

Why are the four Alllen bolts that hold the top bearing housing on to the upper housing made of ferrous steel and not stainless steel

The OEM bolts are stainless. Only 3 of them are bolts, one is a special screw with an oring.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0

Stour-boy

Cadet

Hi Don thanks for reply but the bolts i meant hold the input shaft housing where the hardy spicer joints are on.

Don S

Oh, Ok, well, those should never get wet, so there is no reason to use SS. If they do get wet, then you have more problems than those bolts being steel.

Stour-boy

Cadet

Don it still doesnt answer the question, Its obvious that water can get in if there is a leak possibly through the gaiter and not be noticed for a while in which time bolts get rusty,so why do volvo charge ?4 a time per steel bolt when you can pick up s/s bolts @ ?1each are they something special ? "All I want to know is why" Steve.

Don S

so why do volvo charge ?4 a time per steel bolt when you can pick up s/s bolts @ ?1each are they something special ? "All I want to know is why"

With a question like that, YOU should call Volvo and ask them.
They DO NOT ask me what they should charge for parts, nor do they tell me WHY they charge what they do for each part that they sell.
Do you really think people on a forum can answer a question like that ?????? Some will give you their opinion of what they think is the reason, but no one but Volvo knows for sure, not even their dealers.

Stour-boy

Cadet

Hi Don, I will write to volvo with both questions, If I get an answer I will post it on this forum. Steve. p.s. Dont hold your breath. S.