thru hull exhaust

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me does it matter if your exhaust tips are under the water line, at the same time I'm running exhaust flappers and still using the exhaust that runs into the stern drive leg.

See below photo.

exhaust outlets.jpg

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: thru hull exhaust

Its completely possible, but requires completely different equipment then an above water application. Also, i dont think your going to be able to run them so far appart like that..... have you ever tried working with wet/dry 3" exhaust hose?

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Its completely possible, but requires completely different equipment then an above water application. Also, i dont think your going to be able to run them so far appart like that..... have you ever tried working with wet/dry 3" exhaust hose?

I have made up some 4? adaptors and bends etc out of 316 stainless and also using flexible exhaust hose that doesn?t collapse when you bend it, I can get a comfortable 14 radius without any problems. My main concern was the 4? tips being 8? under water at idle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

AS long as the flappers in the exhaust are operational and u put flappers on the tips that exhaust underwater.3 or 4 inch hoses with any bends should be ok.
U say your still using the down tubes on the original exhaust?How are U doing that?J

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... With flappers, it should be Ok...

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

U say your still using the down tubes on the original exhaust?How are U doing that?J[/QUOTE]

Ive made up a "Y" connection using 316 stainless

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Little heads up, You will not realize any performance gains....that takes place above 5500 rpm...It does sound good though and i understand that. Be aware that you can use marine silcone tubing for such a project..lowers cost.. As to placing your exhaust under the water line even with flappers two things happen....The water first rises to the height of the lake on your hull...bringing it closer to your exhasut and a chance or reversion...Ok go to speedwake.com browse pics and ask questions...below the water line exhaust is generally not done...Biut have fun..

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

two things happen....The water first rises to the height of the lake on your hull..

Even the SLIGHTEST pinhole/clamp failure below the waterline, and your boat will take on water.

Make DOUBLE sure of everything, most insurance Co's will not cover owner modifications that contribute to damages/sinking.