stringer question

jojodancer

Cadet
I bought a 83 glastron last year for $600 and have put off repairs until temperature began to rise. Guy I bought it from had started rebuilding and ran short on money. I was just about to lay carpet over the new wood he had put down when I thought I should check underneath just to be sure. When I did, I found completely hollow stringers that had been cut and left open, along with exposed wood. he had told me that he had no idea what he was doing while rebuilding the boat and even though I dont know what i am doing either I know that this is poor work even for a novice.

My question is, is it possible to do anything without splitting the cap? I do not have a work shed, and the boat is to long to fit in my garage. I'm sure neighbors will not appreciate a boat laying in the yard.

Boat came with a 70hp chrysler, I have replaced it with a 150 hp evinrude and had the transom rebuilt so it is solid. I have read that some boats came with hollow stringers but I can see mush at the bottom of the boat that is probably the remains of the rotted wood from when stringers were cut.

Is it possible to fill the stringers with anything like foam or to leave them hollow and just rebuild the section supporting the main floor? I have read some posts on other forums saying this is possible but I am not sure about the wisdom in that. I would like to fish this season and do a complete rebuild of the floor and stringers next winter but I do not want to have to swim home either.

IMG_20110220_160227.jpgIMG_20110220_161528.jpgIMG_20110220_160218.jpgIMG_20110220_161501.jpgIMG_20110220_161439.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: stringer question

IMO...uncapping is the only way to get to where you need.

You need to Replace the stringer system...

YD.

drewpster

Commander

I agree with the doctor. You need to replace the supports. Because that is what they are, support. Without it you run the risk of cracking or possibly catastrophic failure. I would compare it to driving a race car without a frame.....over hills and bumps. It may seem solid because you can walk on it, but the forces generated by wakes and seas, not to mention the higher horse power, are far greater than that.
My advice, put up a tarp and tell the neighbors you will take them fishing when it is done...in a safe boat.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Boat came with a 70hp chrysler, I have replaced it with a 150 hp evinrude and had the transom rebuilt so it is solid. I have read that some boats came with hollow stringers but I can see mush at the bottom of the boat that is probably the remains of the rotted wood from when stringers were cut.

View attachment 83576View attachment 83577View attachment 83578View attachment 83579View attachment 83580

70 to a 150 is a major jump in HP...what's the hull rated for? And with that increase in HP a solid hull becomes even more important, and the stringer system is a critical part of the boats structure.

jojodancer

Cadet

Boat is rated for 175hp...Sounds like I am going to have to leave it under the cover for a few more months and just pay someone to replace the stringers and floor.

rickryder

Commander

Welcome jojo

There is a vast wealth of knowledge here on iboats. I have never rebuilt a boat but with the help of the people here I'm doing it! Look through the threads on stringer and deck repairs... It's not that hard if your handy and can follow direction. Plus it will cost you less than paying someone. Check out my rebuild thread listed in my signature to see kinda what your up against.

Rick

jonesg

Admiral

Boat is rated for 175hp...Sounds like I am going to have to leave it under the cover for a few more months and just pay someone to replace the stringers and floor.

You will pay through the nose and unless you find first class builders you'll get sloppy workmanship.
The previous owner did almost everything wrong, including the fuel tank.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

A complete restore by a pro will cost thousands and like jonesg said finding the right builder is tuff. With a boat of this size you should carefully wieght the costs of these repairs. Material alone can exceed 2K eaisly and add in labor and it'll climb really quick.

I've tried to shy away from recommendations on cost vs worth, but had to throw in my 2 cents here. If you decide to do the repairs yourself, there is no better place on the web than here to get you thru it.