Starter rebuild

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Question...my starter needs to be rebuilt, is this a project I can do myself, or just take it to someone to do? I could buy a new one for around 130, but if it can be rebuilt for under 100, I can use those savings for other stuff (beer would be first on the list).

merc850

Commander
Re: Starter rebuild

If the problem is the brushes you can take the lower end cap off and see if they're stuck or worn too short. If it's bushings a starter repair shop could replace them I would guess.

rickryder

Commander

If the brushes are worn down there is the chance the armature is worn also... You would need the specs for acceptable/rebuildable armature. I would check with your local generator shop and see what they charge to rebuild it. Just my .02

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Three out of five starters that get replaced or overhauled were not broke. Wiring and connections were the real problem and cost zero to fix.

Please tell us why you think your starter needs to be rebuilt and what year and model outboard it is on. We may be able to save you big bux. :)

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1990 MERCURY 115 ELPTO, Model number 1115412JD
When I took the boat out Saturday, being a typical Mercury, it was a pain to start. I got it started and it idled for a sec, then killed...which is typical if I put the lil revver level down to fast. When I went to go restart it, all it did was whine. A friend said it sounded as if the starter wasn't engaging, as if the bendix (?) was out?? I tried and tried, to no avail. I let it sit, helping the uncle do some work on the camp, and after about 3 hrs, went to start it again. BAM! it started!! I left it running for about 5 minutes, killed it, went to restart it and poof, whining again. I'm gonna guess the starter is the original and prob hasn't been taken off for any reason. It's on the engine and no paint around it is disturbed. I can get a replacement for about 130. I also found a tach for 41 and a speedometer kit for 40.

JB

I think you need to eliminate a few free fixes before you start tearing it apart.

Clean the bendix shaft. Give it a few drops of very light oil (Singer oil is good).

Take the battery cables off and carefully clean the ends (both ends) and check for weak or swollen places indicating corrosion. Reconnect.

Give her a try.

If that doesn't help any auto starter repair shop can overhaul your starter for a fraction of the cost of a new or rebuilt one.

Good luck, and let us know how you do. :)

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will do! Someone else suggested applying a lil oil (they suggested 3 in 1). I was thinking about trying that first. As far as the battery cables go, I haven't had the boat a year yet, and 1 of the first "projects" when I got it was to clean the engine, check all the connections, as far as electronics go, and check hoses and belts and whatnot. Nothing appeared overly worn, and my gf's step-dad, Mr. Mechanic Extrordinare, pronounced everything fit and good to go. So I should have no issues with wiring and the like. Unless something has happened in the last 10 mnths. or so. I'm assuming just lift the lil strater flywheel with a screwdriver and dab on a lil oil?

JB

Battery cable connections can be bad even when they look good and are tight, BR. Don't inspect them, clean them.

Good luck.

rickryder

Commander

Battery cables can look fine on the outside but be corroded under the coating and have poor resistance.... I would go over the starter,do some cleaning and lube to try it....can't hurt....if all else fails like JB said the local gen/alt. shops will fix the fairly cheap. Let us know what you find.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My bad at my explanation. When the boat was bought and my gf's step dad (the mechanic) checked everything out, he cleaned every electrical component he came across. He's a firm believer in electrical connections being spit polished, you have alot less probs when they are.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TA-DA!!!!! I DONE DID IT!!!! And man, was it a relief it was something so simple! Went to the boat with 3 in 1 oil in hand and KNEW I was gonna solve what I had a feeling was a simple and easy problem. Attempted to turn the motor over, while paying attention to what the shaft on the starter did. It lifted, but not enough to engage the flywheel. Ha-Ha! So, now I know it isn't going up as high as it should. Ok, let's see if I can get it to lift up and engage the flywheel by hand. GENTLY used a flat head and placed it under the sprocket, lifting gently. Went as far up as it did when using the key. Ok, so that's one question answered. Which, brought to light another question...is the shaft going DOWN as far as it should. Attempted to turn over the motor via the key, and still, shaft isn't going as high as it should, and now I noticed it didn't go all the way down every time. SOOOOOOO, little booger, you wanna get stuck and hung up huh? Well, I got something for you! Squirted a little 3 in 1 under the sprocket, where the shaft goes into the body of the starter. Tried cranking the engine once or twice, now the shaft still isn't engaging the starter, but it IS going down all the way. So, I squirted a lil 3 in 1 on the shaft ABOVE the sprocket. BAM!!! Turn the key and the sprocket engages the flywheel, then the shaft goes all the way down into the starter body. Over and over and over I turn the key, and watch the shaft lift effortlessly so the sprocket engages the flywheel, then slide gently into place in the starter body, even starting the engine fully 2 times. Left the boat for about 30 mins., had to do some stuff on my work truck, went BACK to the boat, turned the key and VOILA! sprocket engages the flywheel then goes back down all the way into the starter body. Replaced the cover, picked up tools used on the boat and truck, and turned the key on the boat 1 last time. BAM! Started right up! No high pitched whining, no unengaged sprocket/flywheel. Just the smooth, steady, guttural sound of a Mercury 115 hp. starting up. Thnx for EVERYONE'S help and input. Now onto installing a new tach and making sure the carbs are performing at peak proficiency. Maybe now my speed will be where I think it should be.

JB

Going from fearing a several hundred buck fix to a free fix that you did yourself is really a good feeling.

Congratulations. :)

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A fantastically wonderful feeling! I JUST went and turned the key, it spun the flywheel right away! WHEW!!!! Thnx for all your (and everyone else's) help!!

j_martin

Admiral

Here where the starter goes through a hundred or so freeze..condensation..thaw cycles every winter, spring maintenance is hit it with a coupla drops of WD40, followed in a day with a coupla drops of lube oil. Good for the season.

aaapest1

Recruit

Question...my starter needs to be rebuilt, is this a project I can do myself, or just take it to someone to do? I could buy a new one for around 130, but if it can be rebuilt for under 100, I can use those savings for other stuff (beer would be first on the list).

I bought a brand new starter for 70 hp mercury outboard for $60.00 plus free shipping on line