What happened to Tiger and Schuey?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As recently as 5 years ago Tiger Woods was so dominant in PGA Golf that other players admitted that they played to finish second.

In the same period Michael Schumacher dominated Formula 1 racing, though not as dominant as Tiger.

In the last year or two both have returned to the sport that they ruled and performed at mediocre levels. Why?

Tiger's last win was an 18 hole playoff, played with a bad leg. Since then the leg was operated on. Did the operation change something?

Then Tiger was seriously humiliated by revelations about his indiscretions. He went through some sort of therapy. Did the therapy mess up his self confidence in some way?

Finally, Tiger did not play competitive golf for over a year, partly healing his leg and partly too embarrassed to appear in public. Did he lose something in getting his body to do exactly what he wants it to do?

I am unaware of all that might have happened to Schuey except that he got several years closer to 40, which is OLD for a F1 driver, and he changed teams. Juan Fangio drove (and won) well into his 40s and for several different teams, but he only won five World Championships to Schuey's seven.

Schuey was a driving force at Ferrari, but is just a highly respected driver at Mercedes Benz. His junior team mate at MB frequently out-qualifies and out-finishes him.

Both of these men had the right combination of mind, body, training and equipment to beat the best in the world at their sport, and to do it regularly and decisively.

What happened?:confused:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: What happened to Tiger and Schuey?

If you don't use it you loose it.
I believe most people that do great in this world of ours start out slow and through lots of practice and competition progress up to a point were they are at their "A" game.
Now they take time off and they loose that edge and have to struggle to get back there.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think its about taking time off, (with respect, rbh) I think, with regards to Tiger,
we have surely found out, if even only a fraction of what we know of the documentary, is true
or factual about his upbringing, his past is catching up with him. For better or for worse, that has
to affect a golfer.
For me, JB, Michael was one of the most brilliant drivers I've watched. Loved to watch the Ferrari
and German flags fly, when he won, and he won alot. Ayrton was my favorite though...
Maybe, I think, although mental toughness should span all sports the same, going over 200 miles
an hr would have a different effect on someone. I would think it would easier to lose an edge, on the race track, if there were an edge to lose. But I'm not a golfer, either.
Just my thoughts,
Kerry

mscher

Lieutenant

Tigers woes are a no-brainer, IMO.

He's been dragged through the mud, received many talking-to's, from high dollar sponsors, gets cat-calls and vebal abuse, at tournaments, from golfing 'fans". He does not need the money, so maybe he's just getting tired of the whole thing. Competing as a "troublemaker", surely cannot be as much fun as a pristine, world-class superstar.

I have not followed F1 for over 25 years, but looking on Wiki, Schumaker "retired in 06' and stayed out for a couple of years, then experienced some accidents and injuries, when he got back in the driver's seat. Does not take much to go from the top, towards the bottom, in auto racing. Looked like he too was a superstar, in his prime.

Nothing lasts forever

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a very good golfer, but I've always been told that golf is 75% mental and 25% skill. Get what Tiger had on his mind and is still going through it will likey be a long road back. Kinda like the Tin Cup man getting the shanks off the tee. Gotta get the mind back on track. Can't comment of Formula I racing don't get much of it down here. This is Nascar Country. Oh: and did I mention Tiger came to Ms. for treatment. Go figure.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

THE ZONE

The zone is when you go to the pub on friday or saturday and play pool or shoot darts and can't loose or your jobs going great, your getting twice the production done with half the effort or your writing a book, and the words flow with no blockage.
My thoughts are this is the same for what ever you do, the thing about it is that you have gotten to that point were you do not have to "THINK" anymore, your on auto pilot persay, it just come naturally threw countless hours of repitition.
You break the flow, your out of the zone.

jonesg

Admiral

The Daytona 500 was won by a 20 yr old kid yesterday, sports stars get old and lose it.

Fly Rod

Commander

Lets be honest, he has not done well since being humiliated when his X took a golf club to his vehicle and he crashing, his sexual endeavors on weekends were exposed while away from home with a half dozen high priced call girls. His latest embarrassment came about two weeks ago when he had to apologize to his fellow golfers for spitting on the green a few weeks ago.

Congratulations to Aaron Baddeley for making a come back with his career.

If you noticed Aarons wife was by his side at the tournament toting the kids, she apparently is not letting him pull a Tiger.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

When you are younger you believe you are unbeatable and invincible. As you get older you realize that's not true.

bassman284

Commander

Re Schuey, getting older certainly didn't help, but I think a bigger factor is not racing F1 for 3 years. In addition, he does not have the best car on the track any more.

At Ferrari, he had a car (and some would argue tyres) built specifically for his driving style and preferences. There was a reason Ferrari was the only major F1 team using Bridgestone. Michael is a great development driver so I expect the Mercedes to become more and more to his liking over time.

A bit off topic: JB, did you see that the Bahrain GP has been cancelled due to the unrest?