can you reuse a damaged head?

TThornhill

Cadet
hello, posting another question concerning the same repair that i am working on. i am having to replace a pistion due to pre-ignition, chunks off the piston ring/ piston it self have put pits in the area of the head surrounding the spark plug. is this something that has to be replace? i know it would affect compression, but would it be that significant? unfortunatly i do not have a pic of the head, but i will post a pic of the piston just for show n tell. 0hhh yea, 98 mercury 150hp 2 stroke. base

IMAG0105.jpg

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: can you reuse a damaged head?

Honestly, I would replace the head or have it repaired. By the looks of the piston, the pre-det problem probably left the combustion chamber anything but smooth. The ridges or high spots will likely hold heat and create another pre-det type situation when atomized fuel hits those ridges that are retaining heat from a previous ignition. Long, short... repair the head or replace it with a refurb one. It will leave no doubt while on the water.

TThornhill

Cadet

ty, makes alot of sense, and thats the last thing i wanna do is let if blow one more time. is it safe to use a used head, as i have heard that original parts are casted together from the factory.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Without seeing head its hard to say but form looks of piston about a 20% chance. A few dink,dent are OK as they will fill in with carbon with usage. Check that carb really good as it may have leaned out a tad but double check the timing on that cylinder and disable advance box as they could have caused this.