rebuilt/debuilt/remodeled MFG question

cape-dpop

Recruit
New to this. I bought a MFG, don't know what model. It's about 16 feet long; the transom was rebuilt so it is different from the stock transom on MFG's and therefore kind of an oddball length. I've looked at the old brochures on the Glassics site.

The forward console, seats and windshield were removed and a center console was added. The gunwales were taken off and replaced with wood. My concern is that the weight is nowhere near what it was when manufactured. Boat rides nice and gets on plane but it is a boat I use in the ocean and want it to be a stable ride. It is very light, I feel if it were heavier it would cut through the chop nicer. Any opinions on whether I should try to add weight? If so how?
Thanks.

Attachments

• MFG.jpg
    MFG.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1
  • MFG 2.jpg
    MFG 2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1

mr 88

Commander
Re: rebuilt/debuilt/remodeled MFG question

Since the deck was changed I would guess it was a mid 60's Westfield or maybe Edinboro. Need excact center line lenght.The lapstrake design is what points me towards those two models.Nice looking fishing machine. I would not add any weight to the bottom.The early MFGs are light and just equate that to a aluminum hull of the same size.I would rather float like a cork than have that lumbersome feeling.Adding weight probably would be very neglible in giving it a smoother ride and you would go with a larger motor to offset that as well.Put 5 or 6 adults in it and that will give you a idea of the ride and performance equal to adding weight and two person payload.

mr 88

Commander

I would add that they are very light do to the way they are laid up.That hull is listed at 425ish in there brochure.Check out there procedure and claimed weight.I do think that with the removal of partial deck and seats it would offset by the center console and wood. My guess is the total difference would be minimal maybe in the 50lb range.One 6 extra gallon can of gas and a bucket of crawlers would make up the difference, if any.

cape-dpop

Recruit

I would add that they are very light do to the way they are laid up.That hull is listed at 425ish in there brochure.Check out there procedure and claimed weight.I do think that with the removal of partial deck and seats it would offset by the center console and wood. My guess is the total difference would be minimal maybe in the 50lb range.One 6 extra gallon can of gas and a bucket of crawlers would make up the difference, if any.

Thanks for the reply, that was all I needed to hear. It is a nice ride so I'll file this under the "if it aint broke don't fix it" category. Thanks again.

pduquette

Ensign

Ive got 2 nine gallon Moler gas tanks up front and 2 big marine batteries in the back. She can shift alittle in the canals current...but my oxford is14'10.