Aluminum Boat Repair

jfp245

Cadet
I have a fairly small crack in my aluminum boat...which leaks. What is a fast yet easy repair for this crack?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Aluminum Boat Repair

If it is a crack it is a stress area and I really don't think JB will hold it so you will need to have it welded.

It may be a small crack now but it will grow until it runs out of metal to crack.

You don't say where the crack is but I would geuss it is a transom or a seat and it really needs welded, nothing else will permamnently fix it and once you put anything else on it it makes it really really hard to weld.

I have welded aluminum for 23 years and have tried to weld both JB and caulk, it is next to impossible.

What you want to do is take it to a welder and have him drill a small hole right at the end of the crack then weld it, the hole will stop the crack from running anymore, yes the crack will run after it is welded if your guy doesn't get it all, drilling eliminates that problem.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. You could use JB weld if the leak isn't too large or in a high stress location, but having it properly welded is obviously the better solution. 5250abf, have you ever worked with the various home aluminum welding kits such as these? I never have, but I'm curious if they work as well as they claim. They claim you only need a propane torch and a steady hand. Sounds a little too good to be true. Good luck with your fix jfp245.

http://www.amazon.com/Alumiweld-Del...1E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1298218205&sr=8-16

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have access to a real welder so I have never had the chance to braze, I certainly woudln't experiment on my boat, things could go horribly wrong.

With a tig welder you are heating a pinpoint area, with the brazing you are heating a huge area and by the time you get it hot enough to melt the rod it will be real close to dropping and then you hav ea huge area to repair.

Unless you have some scrap laying around to practice on I would't do it, never doen it but I suspect it is harder than using a welder.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have tried that alumiweld stuff, not impressed. To be fair, my skill level may be lacking but I would definitely not use it in a uber important area like my boat hull.

Cheers!

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got my tinny back from the local prop shop today. They welded up 5 cracks in the transom/seat (total running length 6-7 inches) and two holes from a previous owners transducer for a total of $35 + tax. I'm telling you, that's the best money I've spent on my project so far. If you're in the Dallas area, it's McGill Propeller in Lewisville.

Last edited:

stellwagen33

Cadet

Get it welded, I have tried JB weld and it is not strong enough to hold in a vital area. In my boat the rib that takes the most impact from pounding through waves got a crack towards the end of this summer and I drilled a hole in it at either side of the crack. I put JB weld in one hole with a syringe until it oozed out the other hole at the opposite side of the crack. I also put JB weld on the top of the rib on the inside of the boat. After letting it dry a couple of days, it was good for nothing. If it is $35 for 6-7 inches of welding as it was for Av8nBill than welding is by far the best period, except for fixing cosmetic holes, than go with JB weld. I have had good experience with that.