Not whining, but...

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Is the refresh on this board really slow this week.
Maybe it's on my end, but the other boards that I have running are doing fine.

Server maintenance time?...Mods?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Not whining, but...

No, its not just you, this board has ran pretty slow all the time this last week, lots of time outs and delayed loading.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

It must be my slow slow DSL slowing down the server as it waits for my computer to reply....sorry folks:redface:

DaNinja

Lieutenant

It must be my slow slow DSL slowing down the server as it waits for my computer to reply....sorry folks:redface:
I've been getting the "Ooops" screen a bit on IE lately, but I can play on other boards for a couple minutes in the time it takes to post or change pages here.

I left here a while back when I couldn't stay loogged in during refresh times. I hope it's a temporary condition.

Sorry for the whine, Mods...
If it's on my end, I'll shut it...

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I'm still seeing little glitches here and there, too. It's still a new format, and I guess they're still working things out. I've got sattellite internet at home which isn't much faster than dial up, and my computers at work aren't consistent with speed; but I havn't noticed any difference lately, for all that's worth:redface:.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I'm still seeing little glitches here and there, too. It's still a new format, and I guess they're still working things out. I've got sattellite internet at home which isn't much faster than dial up, and my computers at work aren't consistent with speed; but I havn't noticed any difference lately, for all that's worth:redface:.
I like the new format. It matches the navigation of most the other boards that I am on. I actually had to adjust more with the old format.
The refresh speed just went down dramatically this week for me.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Just looking at the posters in this thread I believe its clear this issue is operator error!!:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I will report it..... here on the East Coast I have not seen ANY speed problems at all....... Maybe the Jet Stream is flowing the right way for me :D

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I will report it..... here on the East Coast I have not seen ANY speed problems at all....... Maybe the Jet Stream is flowing the right way for me :D
It could be on my end, but it only started last week and only here. I can post and navigate a couple other forums in the time it takes for a page refresh here.
The new format was working great for me so I was a bit surprised when it started bogging down. Maybe I'll try and toss out some stale cookies. Thanks, Bob!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Confessions of a Moderator......... I use google chrome and find it to be the fastest browser.

I do participate on another forum that uses the identical software as iboats and it is a bit faster however, it has nowhere near the volume of people, posts or size. I guess iboats being as large as it is.....size makes it a touch slower.

j_martin

Admiral

It appears to me that the hang usually is when Iboats is referencing outside advertizing. When you do that, you are at the mercy of whatever troubles the advertizers are having, including DNS lookup delays as seen from the viewer's end. The problems increase as the number and complexity of the links ($*#^@&* GM) increases.

The more data, ie advertizing pages, you can store on your own server, the quicker your page loads will be. It's just a matter of who maintains what data and where. It's like work, so advertizers won't do it. It can be done with a bot.

John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, yes. You are whining. Whining is the correct thing to do in this case.

Even my brand new super GHz with GBs of memory and mucho bux spent 'puter running Firefox is spending an inordinate amount of time "waiting for _______" while loading a new page.

I am not annoyed, mostly because my previous 'puter took 30 seconds to load a page and the new one is blazing fast by comparison.

So, whine a bit, relax a bit. It is in the mill and will be fixed eventually.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Well, yes. You are whining. Whining is the correct thing to do in this case.

Even my brand new super GHz with GBs of memory and mucho bux spent 'puter running Firefox is spending an inordinate amount of time "waiting for _______" while loading a new page.

I am not annoyed, mostly because my previous 'puter took 30 seconds to load a page and the new one is blazing fast by comparison.

So, whine a bit, relax a bit. It is in the mill and will be fixed eventually.
I'll troop through. I still like this board and the folks here, (it took me ten minutes to get a "Reply" box here before I shut down and restarted this site).
I just started the thread to see if it was on my end, since it seemed to happen overnight.
If it's on my end, I would think that my other forums would be affected as well.

Anyway...continuing to troop on!

j_martin

Admiral

I just noticed something on my 'puter. I opened the task manager and there were 2 old epson proccesses running. I removed the epson printer and software months ago. They were E_S40RP7.exe and E_S40st7.exe. I used msconfig to block them and rebooted. It seemed to help quite a bit.

My theory is that they didn't get removed when I dumped the epson printer driver, and also didn't get updated. They may have downed a site which makes them hang the internet frequently. Just my guess.

Epson printers are popular and also junky so they are discarded frequently. This could be a common problem.

I'll have to delete files and edit the registry to permanently fix it.

Along the same lines, I installed a Kodak printer and everything seemed to hang and stutter. Turning off it's default printer status fixed that, and even sped up it's printing. Key programs, like firefox and open office remember it as their default with no problem.