Fitness guru's

puddle jumper

Captain
I just got my self a home gym and would like to know if protein powders are worth using. I am in my mid 40's and looking to loose weight. Will the powder make me keep it on or will it help my muscles repair them selves faster and burn more fat. I under stand its all about calories in verse calories burnt off. If so are some protein powders better than others.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fitness guru's

Working out, you'll burn fat and build muscle at the same time. Lean muscle tissue is much heavier than fat. Don't get discouraged if you work out consisantly and don't lose much or any weight. You can easily burn off ten pounds of fat and put on 15 pounds of muscle. Doing cardio excersise will burn fat and tone muscles. Doing MSE (muscle strength endurance) excercises will build muscle mass. You don't need the protein drinks. They won't help you lose fat. They'll help you to build more muscle mass if your doing heavy MSE. Proper diet and a good mix of excersises targeting all muscle groups is your best bet for weight loss. Again, cardio excersise and healthy eating is going to be your best route for weight loss. Try to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day instead of the traditional 3 big meals. Keep your metabolism going. Don't eat within an hour or two of going to sleep. And always do abdominal excersises (sit-ups, crunches, ect.) on an empty stomach. If not, your abs will develop around what's in your stomach, instead of flat. This can take a long time to correct.

Good luck. Hope I've helped.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I under stand its all about calories in verse calories burnt off.

Do you like celery? It's the ultimate weight loss snack... your body burns more calories digesting it than the celery has in it. Healthy snacks all day long. Raw vegetables and fruits are best.

sasto

Captain

Appx. 70 grams of protein is required daily. That is usually in a normal diet, if not in yours, add a shake. Protein has calories and adding more than needed will be stored as fat.

Good Luck!

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Once you get a routine down it gets easier. #1, get the diet down with 5 small meals a day. Than get a workout routine down that you like and it won't feel soo much like "work" as it does "fun". Plus when you start seeing the results it's really inspiring. :D

Stretch, 30min of cardio and upper-body 1 day, than stretch cardio and lower body the next. Take a day off every week and as I stated...Diet is the MOST important. If you recognize everything your putting into your body, and the benefits / implications it has, you will be that more successful at reaching your goal. Without a benchmark it's a crapshoot.

Right before I went to basic I was taking in like 200g/protein a day and tons of water...but after I was done with basic, my body type had pretty much morphed from muscular to lean because I wasn't controlling the workouts and diet.

Good Luck!

bandit86

Banned

depends on which powder you take, the protein or the musclemass stuff. Believe it or not when I worked out hard core I consumed 8-10 thousand calories and I was still starving all the time, I had a 2500 calorie protien shake before working out just to have the enrgy to burn off and sometims one more adter workout so my body would have the energy to recover.

After a streneous 45 minute workout even on the off days I'd consume 5-6 thou extra calories but I was not after loosing weight or getting thin, I wanted to bulk up and that I did. my chest and legs exploded.

What worked best for me was single sets of 6-8 reps. at 8I'd pack on more weights, this way I go tthe entire body on a day and I could spend the enxt day or two relaxing. Everyone is different, you need to experiment with what works good for you. Initially do more sets with lesser weights, that gets you stronger so you can keep a good form and your joints used to the movements.

NYBo

Admiral

The extra protein can stress your kidneys.

mscher

Lieutenant

When I was a gym rat, I made shakes with GNC Chocolate protein powder, bulk powdered Slim-fast and skim milk. Not scientific, but it seemed to get the job done.

IMO, if you are just starting out, regular excercise and stop eating garbage, will get you where you want to go, as quick as anything.

Also, IMO, areobic (walking, elliptiical, swimming, etc.) excercise verses anerobic(weight lifting) will cut the weight quicker and needs to be a big part of your lifelong transformation (and yes, it needs to be a lifelong transformation) anyway. Lifting weights will make you look/feel better, when the flab dissappears.

More reps of lower weights, will help you slim/tone faster, than less reps of higher weights, plus, you won't have nearly the muscle tissue damage.

Cut out the garbage and get moving. ;)

Goog luck and let us know

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

x2 on simply cutting out the garbage and moving more.......I'm not hardcore or a guru. I just read labels and watch my portions. I get a hour of paid PT time every work day. I make it to the gym for free weights 3-4 times a week and have done so for 6 years. My cardio comes naturally from being "active". At 42, I think I'm doing pretty good. I weigh what I did at 25, look pretty good according others, and feel pretty good. The icing on the cake is that my annual physical blood work numbers are always good.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have a fool proof method for getting in shape. I wrote a book on it, but I will post it here free for all:

"Eat less and exercise"

If you are taking a multivitamin daily and eating lean meats (chicken/fish/minimal red meat), accompanied with a 30-60 minute per day routine...you will see the results.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Between the wife and I we have dropped over 110+ together. We have eliminated all pasta, only eat healthy bread, no soda (not even diet) high fiber, my wife uses protein powder .......... eliminated desserts but, the absolute key has been portion control.

Doing this together has eliminated the junk food from the home. Hungry? Snack on a piece of fruit, a raw vegetable or in my case......I get the urge for something with "crunch" so I have a little dry cereal.

When you eat dinner eat on a smaller plate too ;)

It took us some time to get into this routine but, now it is all second nature....... oh yeah we both feel great :)

puddle jumper

Captain

Thanks guys

Wow all of the replies have given me a new insight to dropping (hopefully) lots of weight.

My wife and I love our food, rich and loaded with calories. We have now started looking at the calorie count and have implemented many of the tricks you people have suggested. Some of the tips I have never thought of and are well worth trying.

One thing that just about all fitness sights have said was not to get into the numbers game like VH had said. I have lost 3 pounds in about 4 weeks and feel great.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I am HANS---------And I am Franz------and we are here to PUMP YOU UP!!!!!!:D

sasto

Captain

Having been a fitness instructor I can say 1 thing, Building muscle mass alone burns more calories. The more muscle you have the more energy (calories) it takes to feed them.

I would post a photo of my results, but I'm shy about it.

Good Luck!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Don't be a slave to the scale! If you are working out and losing fat, you won't notice as much difference on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat. Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit you. Plan on 1-2 pounds per week.

I went into the gym 3 years ago feeling fat @ 205 lbs (6' 3"). I worked out 6 days a week and ate right. Shirts got tight and pants got loose. I came out a year later in great shape @ 225!! The scale really isn't a great representation of what's happening.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

depends on which powder you take, the protein or the musclemass stuff. Believe it or not when I worked out hard core I consumed 8-10 thousand calories and I was still starving all the time, I had a 2500 calorie protien shake before working out just to have the enrgy to burn off and sometims one more adter workout so my body would have the energy to recover.

After a streneous 45 minute workout even on the off days I'd consume 5-6 thou extra calories but I was not after loosing weight or getting thin, I wanted to bulk up and that I did. my chest and legs exploded.

What worked best for me was single sets of 6-8 reps. at 8I'd pack on more weights, this way I go tthe entire body on a day and I could spend the enxt day or two relaxing. Everyone is different, you need to experiment with what works good for you. Initially do more sets with lesser weights, that gets you stronger so you can keep a good form and your joints used to the movements.

2500 calorie shakes? Were you mixing a kg of powder with a gallon of milk?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

"Eat less and exercise"

I was going to say...

Eat right and exercise!

Purdy close to what you were thinking buddy!

I shaved off 50# doing that right there^^^, 220 down to 170.

I put a few back on for "winter weight" so that will need to come back off soon.

(I am not a fitness guru)