'56 Evinrude Lark 30HP

KingHardcor

Seaman
Hello everyone, the name's Justin. I live in the coutry in south central Wisconsin.

Recently picked up a '56 Lark, serial 25526.

The engine looks great, clean except for the nest that was in it. Nothing got chewed, just smelled a little. The cowl looked ok, some minor paint chips and faded paint. Working on repainting that now. It even has the cover!

I did a comp test on it yesterday, not sure I did it right, but I just wanted to make sure the cylinders were close to each other. I pulled plugs, put a little oil through, slowly pulled it over a few times, then checked comp. just by pulling it over with recoil. I got a tad less than 125 in each.

Also checked spark and they are sparking. By the way, is that little clip hanging by the bottom plug used to check spark? The plugs fit right in it and it hangs on clean metal so it work great!

I'm torn about leaving it without a fuel pump or converting. I like the idea of leaving it original but like the convenience of a regular tank. I have want adds out on craigslist for a pressure tank and have few bites so far. The side cover that's on it doesn't have the mounting spots. I know I can get a different cover but where, and which one? I've also read I could just tap into the cover that's there, and mount the pump somewhere else? Which pump for this engine?

Also, how the heck do I tilt the thing forward? It's sitting on a stand and when I move the release lever I can't get it to tilt, is there another lock or something I'm missing?

There sure aren't alot of wires in this, and I like it, nice and simple. Just - and + battery, the wire for the choke solenoid, and another to what I think I read was a murcury switch on the throttle shaft? What the heck is that one for!?

I'm planning on converting it to 12v. I read around here that the 6v starter will work on 12v as long as you don't abuse it, but the choke solenoid will need to be changed. Where can I get a 12v choke solenoid?

Here are some pics.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

1234.jpg

12345.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Murcury Switch
IMG_0083.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: '56 Evinrude Lark 30HP

Nice lookin old motor. Did the putty tat come with it? :D Maybe he'll keep another nest from forming in it.

That little mercury switch on the throttle shaft is there to prevent it from starting, if the throttle is set too high. The tilt lever may not be relasing the lock down all the way. On the tilt/trim rod, you'll see a locking device that is connected to a little rod and that goes to the release switch.
Finding a pressure tank should be relatively easy. I got one for as little as $10.00 one time and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't pay more than $40.00 for one though.

If you need any parts for it, then you might try any of these places. Some are salvage yards and some are dealers that have a good supply of NOS parts

sea-way.com
engine blade and prop.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com
http://www.nymarine.ca/piclist.html Paint and decals

lindy46

Captain

Nice motor - good compression! I'd keep it original with a pressure tank. No fuel pump - one less thing to go wrong. Check on Ebay or go to AOMCI.org and place a free want-ad on their classifieds for the choke solenoid. I usually do convert them to 12 volt. As you stated, the starter will be ok if you don't let her crank too long. Or just get a 6 volt battery from a tractor supply place.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with Lindy...keep the paint original. Clean her up and wax her...you'll be very happy with the results!

Mas

KingHardcor

Seaman

Thanks everyone.

That mercury switch is pretty clever. That's something I really like about this motor, igenuity. Like the mechinism that won't allow full throttle in neutral or reverse.

Ebay had a couple pressure tanks but they go up in price fast. I got a few emails from my craigslist want-ad. One guy wanted only $25 but he was too far away, $30 to ship, another wanted $75, another wants $40 but its a 4 gal. I might take that one but we'll see. Wife may take a big pay cut soon.

I'm in the process of repaining it right now. About to go out another coat of silver on. I found the black and silver that are pretty dang close. I just wasn't satisfied with the faded color. I post a picture later with my progress.

That cat's name is Charley. He certainly would prevent any more critters from nesting in there. We live in the country and he is often bringing me dead things. Drops in my lap, puts them in my toolbelt or boots.

lindy46

Captain

Check AOMCI.org for a pressure tank. They have a classified section, and I seem to remember seeing one or two on there recently. You may have to pay $100 for a good one, but it would probably cost close to that to convert it to a fuel pump.

KingHardcor

Seaman

Here are some pics of where l am at with paint. The white is still just primer, have to find a white l like. There is some touch up and the colors on the chrome and some sanding and clear coat yet to do. Plus the rest of it.

AOMCI.org is a pretty cool site.

P1010059.jpg

P1010054.jpg

KingHardcor

Seaman

l should show you all what boat this will go on.

It's a late 50s, maybe very early 60s Cadillac. Really a Wagemaker but there was a subsidiary company called Cadillac. It's plylap construction.

They weren't part of the car company at all, and were in fact sued by them and won.

Anyway, picked it up far cheap and it came with a 35 HP Sears of unknown year(anyone recognize it?). It needs repair and l've got it completly apart right now and striped. On hold for the winter though.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

It looked like the boat in the middle.
cadillacconstellation2.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Keep tryin the Craigslist ads. Something will come up. As I said before, you should be able get one for $40. I wouldn't pay any more than that for one. Surprisingly enough, there are still quite a few out there. I see them all the time here. I posted a few on Ebay a few years ago and couldn't get over $10.00 for mine, so just be patient. It's still only February anyhow. You'll easily find one cheap by the time boating season starts up.

You did a real nice job on the paint job, by the way.

lindy46

Captain

Here's a pic of my '56 Lark after painting:

Attachments

• lark10.JPG
    lark10.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1

KingHardcor

Seaman

Beatiful Lindy! These are just good looking motors.

Did you get the factory colors or something close?

Here's a stupid question, what do you do the the recoil pull handle? Obviously the front cover won't close with it hangng out of the cowl hole.

Zephyr, I'm sure I'll find one. As you said, is still Feb and we have a long way to go! We just got an ice and snow starm with another on the way.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

A great place to get your paint is at www.nymarine.ca It's kinda spendy, but it's the true factory colors.

So, what motor is on that boat now? It looks like an old Scott/McCulloch or Chrysler.

Nice motor, lindy. :D I agree, the 56 and 57 Larks are a couple of my favorite motors. Same with the Javelines of those years. :cool:

lindy46

Captain

Beatiful Lindy! These are just good looking motors.

Did you get the factory colors or something close?

Here's a stupid question, what do you do the the recoil pull handle? Obviously the front cover won't close with it hangng out of the cowl hole.

Zephyr, I'm sure I'll find one. As you said, is still Feb and we have a long way to go! We just got an ice and snow starm with another on the way.

I matched pretty close with DupliColor paint. See pic re: pull handle.

Attachments

• lark56.JPG
    lark56.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1

KingHardcor

Seaman

Zephyr, it's a Sears 35hp SR of unknown year. It's missing the flywheel so I've never messed with it. I can't find any info on it anywhere.

Lindy, I used Rustoleum and it looks a lot like yours. Probably a very close match, looks great. That handle placement is genious! I'm missing that little clip that holds it but now I know what those two hole are for!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If you can find a model number, one of us could find out for you.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that could be worth fixin and get some of your money back, for that Lark :D. Cool lookin old motor.
I'm thinking it's a Chrysler made, but McCulloch made some motors for Elgin too.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got one of these too! Great job on that paint I'm going with factory colors as well.

motorstandrear.jpg

EvinrudeFront.jpg

yorab

Ensign

Hey guys, sorry to hijack, but this is the ideal time to ask this question. How are you getting the large pics inline with your text? When I post inline, I only get a small thumbnail.