1985 evinrude 25 hp water pump help

joseph1980

Seaman
I'm trying to replace the water pump on my outboard. i've removed all four bolts and the nut off the front. I've disconnected the shift shaft also. However it seems that in the front of the housing something is still keeping the two pieces together. would the drive shaft be whats holding it? if so how do i get it apart? I know i know get a manual....its on order. thanks for the help...

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 evinrude 25 hp water pump help

That stud on the front has a steel insert embedded in the aluminum housing. It gets corroded and needs penetrate worked in around the stud. Heating that stud up may help also.
Yes the splined shaft can be stuck in the power head, and that will take a little more effort to get out. I hope this is not your case though.

joseph1980

Seaman

ok thanks i'll spray a lil lubricant on the stud tonight and try it in the am. any thoughts if the splined shaft is stuck how to get it out?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Did you disconnect the shift linkage that is behind the water intake screens? If not, this is how.

Remove the water pump screens. Disconnect the shift linkage using two wrenches. Slide the upper brass nut up the shift linkage and remove the plastic keeper that is underneath the nut.

Attachments

• Keeper.jpg
    Keeper.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Best way to remove the stuck drive shaft is to hang the whole outboard upside down on a hoist, with the flywheel about a inch above a board on the floor.
Spray PB Blaster into any small crack between the midsection and gearbox. Use wooden door shim wedges to separate the two.

joseph1980

Seaman

yea the stud was froze to the housing with a bunch of white corrosion. would some antiseize be appropriate to keep this from happening again? or is there something better?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Antiseize will work.