1997 90hp lower unit removal

drew52506

Cadet
Can someone please let me know how many bolts need to be removed from the lower unit in order to pull it off. I have taken the two on each side off and it still wont come down. I need to pull it off because i dropped the point on the end of the prop shaft into the lower unit and cannot fish it out. Please help.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 90hp lower unit removal

Check and see if you have one more. It should be over the prop and is counter sunk so its hidden. My 120 has 5 bolts to remove. You might even have to use a rubber mallet to help remove it.

drew52506

Cadet

Thanks alot for the response, I found the bolt it was hidden under the bobs machine shop dolphin plate that wa on the motor. I got all 5 out but it still wont budge, any ideas?

Tyler-Bond

Recruit

Drew

I have a 1996 johnson 130hp and today I was trying to removing the lower unit. I had all the bolts out but after researching today online I also have to disconnect any linkages between the shift shaft and the shift actuator in the power head area. The cotter pins have to be removed and then the shift rod supposedly needs to be pushed towards the power head to allow the lower unit to be removed. I will be trying this tomorrow morning and will let you know what happens.

Rich

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I had to tap mine off with a rubber mallet. It also helped by putting it in forward. I also had no linkages to disconnect on my 1996, 120.

drew52506

Cadet

Thanks guys. I finally got it, corrosion on the middle bolts.After a can of nut buster they gave way to the mallet. Now to change the impellor and bearring carrier.{fun fun}