U - Joint bellows torn 1990 l-drive

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
When I trimmed down to change my prop shaft seal last week I noticed the u joint bellows was torn and water was getting in unwanted quantaties (hey, at least with the l-drive the hull still floats!! :)). My question is: Can you change the bellows without removing the powerhead and dropping the lower assembly? It seems on paper that I could remove the lower unit, disconnect the tilt/trim cylinder and u joint housing, replace the u joint bellows and re-assemble. Anybody have any experience in doing this on an l-drive (120hp 1990). Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
Re: U - Joint bellows torn 1990 l-drive

I should have an answer soon if anyone is interested in the result. The part is on the way via UPS and I'm going to give it a shot this way, wish me luck!!

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
Re: U - Joint bellows torn 1990 l-drive

The answer is yes!! And you don't even need to mess with the tilt/trim cylinder or the exhaust bellows, in fact it makes it easier to leave them on especially if you are doing this solo. The trickiest part is removing and installing the snap rings on the pivots for the u joint housing, I had the best luck with 90 degree angle snap ring pliers just be carefull not to tear the new bellows on reassembly (it's a tight fit). All in all it took about two hours including prep and cleanup, just make sure you have a bolt or threaded stud of the right length (with a nut and washer) and a socket big enough to fit over the pivots to use as a makeshift puller. Hope this helps someone out there!!!