Votes: 5 55.6%
  • EnduraTop (Carver?)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
So I know I want Jet Black Sunbrella fabric on my Bimini, but iBoats have 2 brands that are the same size, same warranty, but different manufacturer, and the cost is even within $30 of each other.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Which Bimini Top Manufacturer?

So I know I want Jet Black Sunbrella fabric on my Bimini,

Ayuh,... Jet Black,..?? in the Sun,..?? Donno...

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I had a black vinyl covered seats in a maroon boat many years ago. Such a pretty combo too. One could easily blister a backside too on a hot day.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a CARVER here last year. Stainless fittings and it looks just like factory on my Larson 208 LXI. It is also made in South Carolina not too far from home.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Black, I would be thinking any color but black.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You'll find a black top will be VERY hot in the sun. Even though you're "in the shade" the black color radiates a lot of heat under the bimini. If you're looking for shelter I suggest a lighter color.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I had a tan top on my Carver for years and switched to black. I like thw white/black combo better. And as someone who is Florida all year, I noticed NO DIFFERENCE in the heat under the top.

However, the OP had a question regarding the manufacturer of the top, not the color. The material is more than likely from the same mill. You can get multiple name brands of canvas (Dickson Marine, Sunbrella, Coast Guard, etc) and as long as they are the same make-up (cotton/poly or poly blend...check the ounce weight), they are the same. Sunbrella does not make their own canvas, they buy from the same mills as the other guys and put their own name on it.

a1akeywest

Banned

i just bought a taylor made,,, seems to be pretty nice,, and i had to contact customer service to exchange the colour of my material,,, they were very nice to deal with,,,

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

As to black not a problem i have one....serious i believe wind dissapates the heat somehow and i know that sounds crazy but it is what it is...THis much i will tell you Westland makes a good product when they get it right. Now inspect it closely the fabric that is. look at the seems or sewing under a magnifying glass... Do not assemble the frame until you have done this...You can quote me here...It will not come apart after it has been assembled....Umm unless you attach log chains to pry it apart.

If there is any problem report it immeditaley to i-boats...dont wait...it cost me a badly sewn top and due to my lack of immediate response im stuck.... I-boats didnt have to much leverage in my case.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not too worried about the black and heat, as it'll be up over our heads vs. under our butts. My boat covers are black, and I kind of like the look with the boat. Just not sure on which manuf. to go with, ya know?

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a nice black Sunbrella bimini for my 18 footer last year from Boat Covers Direct. My boat is 10 years old and previously has a maroon convertible top. I opted for the stainless steel frame because I boat in salt water and also bought the fixed pole to keep it upright. Whole thing cost about $400 out the door. I love the black...brings my boat more up to date and stays clean all ofthe time. I simply hose it off after use in my driveway. Look around the marinas, black is in. The blue and hunter green tops are starting to look out dated.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Carver Sunbrella is as good as it gets..and so is their customer service.

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a gray ShadeMate Sunbrella. Very happy with the fit and quality, and the price was great.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes that i understand...Most biminis are like a bikini bottoms and they look funny to me...not in the flesh that is...So my beam is eight feet..so thats how wide i went and it covers the entire cockpit...measured from the winsheild to the back seat edge...Looks terrific

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I ended up getting the Carver. One comment on location (just down the shore) and one on customer service sold me.

$350 shipped from iBoats with Sunbrella Fabric and a matching boot...oh and the strut kit! I opted against the SS, even though my boat has the SS package, because I figured I'd see how the black fittings look with the black canvas. If I don't like the look of them in the future, I'll buy a SS setup then. :)