93 Chris craft bowrider underpowered?

QuietRider21

Seaman
HI, i recently bought a 93 Chriscraft quiet-rider 194. It has a v-6 omc 150hp outboard mounted under a hatch. Kind of a cool set-up. According to NADA the boat measures 20.8' and weighs 2200-2400 lbs. Its a relatively deep hull.. I cant seem to find any info on it or anyone online who's had one..anyways, i'm wondering if this seems like an underpowered combination? Theres alot of good deals on used outboards right now since its still off season and i found a few in the 200hp range. Unfortunately i cant water test my boat with current motor since its still way too cold. but if i'm going to repower, i'd rather get it done now while the deals are still out there.what do you guys think?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 3

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: 93 Chris craft bowrider underpowered?

Being set up for a outboard it should have a Max HP rating on her... Wouldn't get past that.. That 150 should push her right along no problem if it has the correct prop and running good

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That's pretty Wierd lookin',...
I'd have to Guess that it's quite Limited as to what'll fit Under that hatch...

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

OMC did some funny stuff when they were building boats. I didn't know they did that Quiet Rider design on Chris-Craft. The only ones I have seen were Sunbirds. If I were to guess, you will find more about the Sunbirds (out of business) than the Chris-Craft version.

That vintage 150 OMC would be a V6. I would guess it has to be a 20" shaft to fit under that hatch.

It is kind of "cool". An idea ahead of its time. As with anything in boat design there are compromises.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

that is so goofy looking.

got a pic of it with the hatch off out of curiosity?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A quick check of tests of 6 boats of similar size and weight produced speeds from 41-48 planing
in 3 sec. to 5 sec.

rkneap

Recruit

I own the same boat. Chriscraft quiet-rider 194, 1993 with the OMC 150.
It does about 43 with just me on board. 40 mph with 6 adults.
I strongly recommend that you add a whale tail. It will make a big difference in the cavitaion problem inherent with this design. The only increase in engine size that will fit under the hatch is the 6 cyl 175. It is the same block with different carbs and manifolds. No other diferences.

I have had mine since 1995. It ahs been wondeful and now has about 900 hours on the engine.
Still running strong.