59 johnson 35 hp lower unit problems-what might work??

Lou Earle

Cadet
Have good ??? 59 35 hp lark but shifter when put in forward does not engage forward gear or clutch dog might be bad just do not knowyet. But something is wrong and I need help
What gears shifter etc will interchange into the lark foot? I have a couple of 60 johnsons and a 63 gale for parts will any of theme or their parts work?
Thanks all help appreciated
Lou Earle ps
forgot to mention that the shifter will shift it into reverse and it engages but will not engage in forward and the rods are connected
thanks for suggestion but it isn't that so I still need infor on what interchanges if anything.
thanks again
Lou

Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 59 johnson 35 hp lower unit problems-what might work??

I would first open the tab on the side of the leg and check the shift rod connection. Make sure the screw is securing the rod indentation.

shiftrodconnector2.jpg

shiftrodscew.jpg

Lou Earle

Cadet

forgot to mention that the shifter will shift it into reverse and it engages but will not engage in forward and the rods are connected
thanks for suggestion but it isn't that so I still need infor on what interchanges if anything.
thanks again

lindy46

Captain

Are you running remote cables on the motor? Could be shift cable is out of adjustment. Try disconnecting the shift cable and manually shift into forward. See if it engages. Or there could be a worn/sloppy shift connection under the powerhead.

kfa4303

Banned

can you manually put it into fwd gear by slowly rotating the flywheel by hand and slipping it into gear that way? I realize that doesn't help on the water, but it should give some good info. if it can go into gear manually, then something is probably just out of adjustment per lindy46's suggestion, if it can't go into fwd at all, no matter what you do, then you have bigger fish to fry. if worse comes to worse, you can always take the LU apart and to see what's what. it sounds scary at first, but it's not really too bad. just get a manual and take your time.

Lou Earle

Cadet

Well
Tore the lower unit down. Looked excellent to me BUT my old(79) friend and mechanic looked up the lu in his manuals and low and behold the thrust washer was installed wrong!! The gears bearings etc look brand new. I suspect someone in the line of ownership rebuilt the lu and got the washer in wrong got disgusted and sold it- just me guess- been there done that!
Anyway the lower unit is going back on today.
Thanks for all the suggestions they finally lead to the tear down.
Lou

jasper60103

Commander

Well
Tore the lower unit down. Looked excellent to me BUT my old(79) friend and mechanic looked up the lu in his manuals and low and behold the thrust washer was installed wrong!! The gears bearings etc look brand new. I suspect someone in the line of ownership rebuilt the lu and got the washer in wrong got disgusted and sold it- just me guess- been there done that!
Anyway the lower unit is going back on today.
Thanks for all the suggestions they finally lead to the tear down.
Lou

Way to go! Buy your old friend a steak dinner. Thanks for the update.:cool:

GLORY

Cadet

Is it possible to put the thrust washer in the wrong way? Just took my gear case apart, it would be nice to know before I assemble it

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Apparently so.

GLORY

Cadet

Well both sides look the same to me:confused:

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible to put the thrust washer in the wrong way? Just took my gear case apart, it would be nice to know before I assemble it

NO but it is possible to put it in the wrong place.

GLORY

Cadet

:) ok that makes more sence;)

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a good Idea / habbit that I do no matter what I am working on. I have a compact digital camera and I photo everything as I take it apart. multiple angles and hi res. so I can blow it up on the pc and really see how parts are placed.