Lifting a 225 out of a crate

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well I have a bit of a quandry. I did search the forums and could not find the answer. I purchased a used 2000 Evinrude 225 for my project boat. It was shipped in/on an outboard shipping crate. I figured it would be easy, pop the cover, hook up a hoist to the hook eyes and lift it up. One problem, the cover has latches on the front and back. The front ones are down against the bottom of the crate frame which is steel. How do I safely lift the motor off the skid with out damaging it or myself to get the cover off to hook up a hoist properly? 500lbs is not something I want to move around with the trial and error method.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lifting a 225 out of a crate

Is there enough "lip" around the bottom of the powerhead to wrap some lifting straps around, hooked to your hoist?

sheboyganjohn

I think I can get a strap under the transom mount to lift, my concerns are two fold, the point of ballance, I have a feeling it will be way top heavy lifted like that, the second is damage to the lower cowling. I would hate to start lifing and either have it start standing upside down scatching up the cowling, or have it crack the lower cowling.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is it possible you could lift the shell of the crate off the motor and skid?

sheboyganjohn

I already have the skin off the crate with the metal sub frame. I am going to take it down to the metal skid part the motor is bolted to before I try lifting it. As of right now I have full access from the sides and cannot get to the front latches. I will look tomorrow and see if I pull the frame if I can turn the motor all the way to the starboard side. Turning to the port side, the fitting on the hydrolic cylinder for steering hits a metal support on the skid which is where it was stuck when I recieved it. I did not try to turn it to the starboard side yet.