Handling a Large Wash?

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple of years ago me and some friends were out on my 24' pontoon cruising around the James River, in Va., near Hopewell. We were on a course that crossed the path of a large cruiser, probably 40+ ft long, traveling at a pretty good clip. I slacked off to let him go by, as whether I had the right of way or not, I didn't feel it was in my interest to challenge him. In my lack of knowledge of approaching the wash, I hit it straight on, at 90 degrees. This wash was about 4 ft waves. We went over the first one and down into the trough. When the next one hit it came over the bow and put about 3" water along the entire deck and soaked everyone but me, as I was behind the pilot's console and had a windshield. Lesson learned, I think I should have approached this wash at a 45 degree angle.

Now for my question. If a 40+ ft cruiser put out 4 foot waves in his wash, what happens when something even bigger is cruising past and I need to cross their wash? I don't know how deep/tall a wash can be off of large boats but I, in smaller boats, such as this 24' pontoon, or an even smaller v-hull or flat-bottom jon boat, would like to know the best way to handle a large wash without swamping the boat, if that's possible.

Will the wash be smaller if it's farther away from the boat that created it? If I see a cruise ship coming up the river should I just turn around a run the other way? (cruise ships don't come up the James River where I am, but big barges, tugs, and other medium cargo ships do)

I have not seen info addressing this in the lessons I have been studying in my boating course.

Thanks,
Chris

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Handling a Large Wash?

How you attack the wave depends on the boat and the type of wave you?re looking at. I spend a lot of time in or around the shipping channel in the Bay. I?ve seen all sorts of different wave types roll up on me. Empty container ships seem to be the worst offenders.
Unless the waves are very large, I'm generally just hit them head on. My bow sits almost four foot off the water line so it would take a pretty good wave to get any water in the cockpit. On the very large waves, I go at them at a 30-45 degree angle and apply a little power as you climb the face of the wave. A lot of times I'm on the troll when they show up. All you can do is point the bow into the wave and go with the flow.

The height of the wave is dependent upon the energy of the wave, the contour of the bottom and the depth of the water. A high energy wave can travel for miles as hardly a ripple on the surface only to roll up to monster proportions as it runs up shelf into shallower water.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Big wakes just blow but taking them at 45 degrees at a slower speed seems to be best, way better than head on or parallel.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd worry about taking a pontoon at an angle and having it flex apart; they aren't made for waves, but there is no hull to fill up if you go "decks awash." But i wouldn't go at 90*.

The key is to practice and know your boat. next encounter, recall how you did it before and try something different. On many boats, you will accelerate during the process to raise the bow--timing is important. After you cross, go chase down the other side and practice running the back side, then turn and keep doing it until the waves are gone. be sure your crew is on board with this!

I also boat in your area. The tug boats are traditionally the biggest wakes, as are the yachts. Barges, usually not much. Freighters are strange, the same apparent size and hull will do two different things. And a sudden acceleration/deceleration can make a tsunami. Lots of factors. When i fish at night at HRBT and the 4' catch you by surprise, it's crazy.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've only been on the James, around Hopewell or lower, with my pontoon. I have had the 16' semi-v jon boat up higher, around Varina, but the tug traffic there is minimal, and usually you only see smaller boats. I hate to think about going out on or near the bay with that jon boat. I am looking for a v-hull something bigger to take out in the bay water. I doubt the pontoon would to well in bay water either, even without the large boats going by.
Even so, is it just a fact of life that you can get swamped by a large wash from a boat no matter what you do? Not saying this is going to sink the boat, but my thinking is if you cannot avoid the wave, and do not have a boat with a tall enough bow, you are doomed to put the bilge pump to work.

Thanks,
Chris

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not if you know how to drive them--and aren't stern-anchored.

I spent my youth jumping tug waves in small boats.

i wouldn't say that about pontoons boat iv'e seen them out in the bay were i live. if you have the right driver on board your good. iv'e seen one go out in 2' rollers and take a 4' wave like a champ and just go right through it and didn't even slow the guy down.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

When taking a sudden big WAKE in my 18ft aluminunm LoneStar I pull the throttle back to slow down then gine it gas to lift the bow when the WAKE arrives. :cool:

The Wellcraft just loves to flatt'en waves.:D

A buddy with a pontoon took a 4ft wave over the bow and it tore up his railing skirt and furniture.:eek: