Need some help ASAP on 80 HP Evinrude.

bhood

Recruit
I have a 1968 Clawson Caravelle with a '67 80 HP Evinrude. I broke off the trim lock/release tab a few months ago when I was trying to lift the motor. It broke off from the trim. Is there anyway to maybe JB Weld this back on or anything? Does anyone know where I may be able to by a new trim plate/ motor mount for this motor? I was hoping to take the boat out this weekend to Toledo Bend since the temps are supposed to be in the 70's all weekend.

Would it effect the boat/motor/performance if I take it out with the tab broken? I was told that when I am in motion the tab needed to be in the unlocked position in case I hit something underwater the motor would be allowed to move up and not get hung up on the object, but when I am reversing then lock it down so the motor doesn't come up out of the water.

I am new to the forum and to boating so just tryin to find some answers before I mess up the boat.

Thanks,
Ben

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some help ASAP on 80 HP Evinrude.

If I read you correctly, you broke the lock/release lever. Actually, breaking those was a pretty common occurance. If it is not all the way in the lock or all the way in the release positon, it will hit the transom when tilted and "snap!"

The part number is 312463 and is available from any Evinrude dealer. marineengine.com has them for $23

I suppose you have figured out that it usually is necessary to hoist the motor off the boat to replace that lever?

You asked if it would harm anything to run it with the broken lever. No, it won't, you just can't tilt it. Read on, concerning that.

Now, the way you are supposed to run that motor: You are supposed to run it in the locked down position. It has an overload protection system that will automatically release it if you run aground. You have to manually release it in order to manually tilt the motor.

Having said that, if you hid a solid underwater object at 40 MPH, you probably will break something, whether it is locked down or not. It's just a simple matter of inertia. Same as hitting a tree with your car.

bhood

Recruit

@ F_R.... The trim release lever that is broken actually broke the nub off the trim plate. I am assuming I will have to buy a new trim plate. I am not sure if JB Weld would hold it, and I don't think I can weld it on. I think I have the name right. Either the trim plate or motor mount.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Bummer. That is called a swivel bracket assembly, part number 381427. Marineengine.com has 10 in stock @ $75 ea. But it is quite a job to swap it out.

You will probably wind up doing it the redneck way and tie a longer piece of cable onto the release hooks and a wood handle. When you want to tilt it, pull handle and tilt.

Actually it isn't as hard to replace as it would first appear. But you need an engine hoist and some courage if you aren't used to getting into such things.