Which do you like better: Windows Media Player or iTunes for organizing your music?

Which do you like better: Windows Media Player or iTunes for organizing your music?

• Windows Media Player

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • iTunes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Some other software

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • What's a PC?

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Trying to decide which software to use across all the desktop and laptop PC's in the house. While setting up the new home server I was using Windows Media Player. But I think it has some limits. Is iTunes a better choice? Which do you use or like better?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which do you like better: Windows Media Player or iTunes for organizing your musi

Itunes is evil. I tolerated it for a while but it just keeps getting worse and worse. Windows Media Player is fine. However, my personal choice is Media Monkey for audio and VLC player for video. MM is the greatest thing since sliced bread for music organization, it can synch ipods and pretty much any other device as well. LOVE IT! VLC player is small and just plan works well for video.

Hey Mark, do you have a media center PC yet? I wasn't sure if you had one as a part of your network or not. If you do, you HAVE to get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multimedia-Remote-with-Keyboard/dp/B0036VO67I

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Which do you like better: Windows Media Player or iTunes for organizing your musi

Itunes is evil. I tolerated it for a while but it just keeps getting worse and worse. Windows Media Player is fine. However, my personal choice is Media Monkey for audio and VLC player for video. MM is the greatest thing since sliced bread for music organization, it can synch ipods and pretty much any other device as well. LOVE IT! VLC player is small and just plan works well for video.

Hey Mark, do you have a media center PC yet? I wasn't sure if you had one as a part of your network or not. If you do, you HAVE to get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multimedia-Remote-with-Keyboard/dp/B0036VO67I

Itunes isn't evil. LOL That being said, I do use VLC player for both video and audio. I like it a lot. The icon for it is a little stupid though, a traffic cone? :confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The icon for it is a little stupid though, a traffic cone? :confused:

But they put a santa hat on it for Christmas! Surely that has to count for something? :D

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I have used a program called 1by1 for the past few years.
It has a no frills, browser surfing type of interface for your music. It is easy to quickly find that song your looking for in your database.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Well, yeah, Apple puts all kinds of invasive stuff in their products. Usually takes me a while to disable it all. Apple is a real pain to deal with, especially if you don't want them in bed with you.

Don't have a media center pc. Right now I'm putting everything on the Windows Home Server and getting organized. Have it set up to mirror the photos, video and music to the second drive. And auto backups of everyone Documents and Settings folders.

Is that a universal remote? Will it work with media players that stream from the server and play on the TV?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Is that a universal remote? Will it work with media players that stream from the server and play on the TV?

Yes. It isn't really a remote at all. It's a miniature keyboard and mouse. So it would work on anything that accepts a USB keyboard/mouse.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Right now we just have i tunes running about 500 gigs of music and another 250 gigs on a external hard drive.
One of the issues that I have with the digital recordings is that output volume is very low coming off the laptop.
I would like to build a tower for the system, but one thing that I need to find out about is the audio/media cards available that give you the best bang for the buck.
(and RCA jacks VS fiber?????)

mscher

Lieutenant

LOL. iTunes is "evil", but it's a necessary evil, if you sync with an Apple device, which is what iTunes is designed for. It works great with my iphone. We make a "deal with the Devil" anyway, buying Apple.

Never been overly thrilled, with any Windows media product.

Winamp, would be my choice, if I didn't have an Apple device.

mscher

Lieutenant

Right now we just have i tunes running about 500 gigs of music and another 250 gigs on a external hard drive.
One of the issues that I have with the digital recordings is that output volume is very low coming off the laptop.
I would like to build a tower for the system, but one thing that I need to find out about is the audio/media cards available that give you the best bang for the buck.
(and RCA jacks VS fiber?????)

Why not get an amplified speaker system? There are some great ones out there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

LOL. iTunes is "evil", but it's a necessary evil, if you sync with an Apple device, which is what iTunes is designed for.

I believe it is necesary for the iphone but not ipods. Media Monkey is doing an awesome job with my ipods.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Throw me in with media monkey (free version here). Does pretty much everything you could ask of a media player. One of the nicest features for me with 250+ gb of music is being able to level the volume of all the tracks. When running a large random playlist you don't have to keep adjusting the volume because one album being louder than another.