timing

frank27

Seaman Apprentice
hi i have a 1975 4506a evinrude 4hp im goin to change the coils points and condensers i found that info in the faq section my question is will i have to put it in time when im done thanks for your time

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: timing

The engine is kept in time via the key in the crankshaft being aligned with the slot in the flywheel. It will be impossible for you to change the timing.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

And should you have the coils off for any reason.......

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

yorab

Ensign
Re: timing

I think I read a nice tip on the forum once that deals with dirty points. Dip a corner of a business card in acetone then slide it between the points to clean them up.

I can't remember who posted that.