Deoxidation product

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recall seeing a commercial on TV about a product that would remove oxidation by spraying it on and rinsing it off with water, but I don't recall the product name.
Anyone know?

Also on TV (SHIP SHAPE TV), they endorsed a product called "Poli Glow". Has anyone here tried it? The kit is not cheap.

I'm tired of all the 'claim to fame' products and it's nearing that time of year again. What works best?

I have a blue accent strip running the length that has never been brought back sucessfully.

Thanks

Skagit

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Deoxidation product

Wet sand with 1000 grit, coarse rubbing compound, fine rubbing compund, polish, wax. It takes time and elbow grease but it's the best method out there.

--Skagit out :cool:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm tired of all the 'claim to fame' products and it's nearing that time of year again. What works best?

Skagit has it right on.. Elbow grease/buffing is the only product I know of.

YD.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got me curious about it (poli-glow), I looked at a bunch of reviews and pretty much everone said the same thing. It looks GREAT for a year, after 2 years it yellows and looks like he11 and has to be wet sanded off then reapplied. 65 bucks for a years worth of shine isn't bad, but I would rather wet sand, wax, ect and do it right (slower and more work, but much longer lasting.

Bondo

Staff member

I recall seeing a commercial on TV about a product that would remove oxidation by spraying it on and rinsing it off with water, but I don't recall the product name.
Anyone know?

Nope, but I bet it don't work like it does on TV.....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Also on TV (SHIP SHAPE TV), they endorsed a product called "Poli Glow". Has anyone here tried it? The kit is not cheap.

Forum member vegasphotoman used it on his sleekcraft. They were initially thrilled with it. However after less than a season I think it started to go bad in someway (fade, peel, yellow....something like that) and they ended up stripping it off I think. I'd avoid it.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Paul (Vegasphotoman) tried Poli-glow. Just like ez said, He was happy at first then very unhappy a short time later. He comments on it somewhere in his Sleekcraft restoration thread. He also comments about it in his 5th response to my youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cokhg6h0pk

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, looks like elbow grease it is.

Get yourself a a high speed wheel. You can get a decent one on Amazon for about $70. I detail boats for a living and I am able to remove most oxidation with a wheel, course pad and 3M's Super Duty Rubbing Compound followed up with a polish compound and marine cleaner wax.