Evinrude Ski Twin Year & HP?

SteigerDory

Cadet
Just picked up a engine that looks to be in good shape for short $$ and need to find out a bit about it..

On the identication stamp, there is a M then under that it reads 33003M under that is E02451..

I assume it is a 33hp? Guy said 85, but I assume he is off by a decade or so..

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sean

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Ski Twin Year & HP?

Excellent old motors. Built on the same basic design, as the 1957 35hp. Still has the old single wall exhaust housing and the same basic block and most of the parts are interchangeable. If you look closely at the head, you'll still see the casting, where the compression release actuator arm, mounted (which was used on the old 35's) Other than the 3hp Light Twins, this is still the only Johny/Rude that doesn't have a thermostat. It also has the same, simple to work on, universal ignition system and the same impeller as the older 35's as well, so parts should be available just about anywhere. Your model year was the last year in production. Your model was started in 1965, which was the replacement of the older 28hp. The 28hp was built on the same basic design as the old 30hp, of 1956. A lot of parts are interchangeable with this model as well, with the exception of the parts within the engine block, itself.

You can see a parts breakdown of this motor here:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278648/27864800001.htm

It's of the 65 model, but should still be the same, with the exception of the decals, but an excellent parts diagram.

kfa4303

Banned

hi steigerdory. I have a '66 33hp and it's great. it likes to drink a little gas, but other than that she's good to go. very torquey and strong overall, and as 1946Zephyr said, there are tons of readily available, interchangeable parts available. giver her a tune up, new impeller and carb kit and you'll be good to go. make sure you have a strong 1" socket and ratchet/breaker bar to remove the flywheel nut they can be a little stuborn sometimes. good luck!

radioactivecurt

Recruit

i had bought a 1965 duo 14ft fiberglass boat with intentions to restore haven't started yet and the boat has a 33 hp evinrude "ski twin" and tips to make it run faster or more efficentily?

kfa4303

Banned

hi radioactivecurt. Well I had my 33hp on a 14' f'glass skiff and it was pretty dang fast. Too fast for me really, but I'm kind of a wuss. Aside from getting the motor in tip-top shape, about the only thing you can play with is weight distribution. try adding/subtracting weight to various areas of the boat to see how it affects performance. If you're by yourself in the boat and sitting at the rear along with the motor and the gas tank and perhpas a starting battery, that may be too much weight in the rear, so you may want to try to move the gas tank and or battery to a more forward location, if possible. I've known folks that have used cinder blocks, secured so they couldn't rattle around, but could be easily removed at the end of the day, to help add a bit of weight to the bow of their boat when needed too. you'll probably just have to some good 'ol trial and error to see what set up is optimal.