Need a sound advice and mechanic

vpolick

Cadet
I have a 1989 Four Winns Candia with the 5.7L 351 Ford and OMC drive. The lower unit has a serious knock. I took the cover off and the gears are pretty beat up. The advise I need is do I rebuild or replace with a whole used unit. I only paid $4k for the boat, so to spend $1,700 to rebuild the unit is tough to swallow. I want to fix the unit and replace the shift cable. Your thoughts?

Also, I am in the Metro Detroit area, north Oakland County. I need a sound mechanic who will know how to work on this OMC. Any references would be great.

Thanks!

superbenk

Commander
Re: Need a sound advice and mechanic

For that kind of money, I'd seriously look at the SEI conversion kits to essentially turn your obsolete Cobra into a Merc outdrive with warranty & available parts. I don't think SEI drive is significantly more money than what you've been quoted for repairs.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would give sei a call. I specifically went with a merc so I can use their out drives in the future when that time arrives.

Bondo

Staff member

with the 5.7L 351 Ford and OMC drive

Ayuh,... Just for the record, it's a 5.8L Ford,....
The 5.7l is a Chevy 350....

LilRedNeckGirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SDI @ Sterndriveengineering is the way to go. I replaced one of my drives over this winter. $1200 puts the new drive in your hands. add $100 for the seals & gaskets. Add another $50.00 and do the bellows while your in there. Your looking at a 3 year no excuses warranty. Drag the drive on the road, hit a submerged log, you name it, its covered in the warranty.
Also, at $1700.00 on a rebuild, Im guessing that they are going to reuse a bunch of old parts. I was quoted nearly double that to rebuild a alpha mercruiser/1985 model, and was told just the complete gear/bearing/seals kit was over $2000.00.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SEI is the way to go, but you can NOT buy a Merc outdrive from them and install it on your OMC transom shield. SEI also has a $350 kit to convert the OMC to the Mercruiser Gen II type drive, you will then need to get a Merc type prop.
Here is a link to SEI that should help with any questions, you can by all the items from here at iboats cheaper than from SEI directly. Check it out.
http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He has an 89, the SX didn't come out till 94.

vpolick

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the responses. 5.8 L, your are right. I fat-fingered that one.

How do I find an installer? This is beyond my comfort level and the website doesn't seem to offer any help. I still am not sure about now investing over $2k into a 22 year old $4,000 boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks everyone for the responses. 5.8 L, your are right. I fat-fingered that one.

How do I find an installer? This is beyond my comfort level and the website doesn't seem to offer any help. I still am not sure about now investing over $2k into a 22 year old $4,000 boat.

Ayuh,... That Is a dilemma,....
The boat is worth vertually Nothing as it sets.... as a complete unit...
If you do the repairs, it'll be worth about what you spend on the repair...
Probably the Best way out,..
Is to Part it out Now....
You could probably get $500. or more for the motor,...
Say another $500. for the trailer...
Maybe another $500. for the rest of the driveline parts...
Another couple hundred for the trim, railings, etc...
And,..
It shouldn't cost ya more than $100. or so to have the rest of the fiberglass landfilled...