Volvo DP290 Serial

erikgreen

Captain
Greetings, all;

I've had my DP290 drive in the shop for a few weeks to get it re-sealed. The mechanic I've got working on it says he's waiting to find out a serial number from me, since the one on the tag attached to the drive is unreadable. I've looked on the transom assembly (briefly) for a serial, no dice yet. I'm waiting for the snow to melt to look some more.

Are there a number of variants of the DP290 drive that would require him to look up the serial number before proceeding with the work? Anyone have any idea how I can get a serial number somewhere that will tell him what model/year it is, like off the transom, engine, or even the boat (it's a bayliner contessa).

I believe the drive, transom and engine were original/matched together. The engine was an AQ260A (now disassembled, cracked block). The transom is still on the boat, and the drive is at the marina shop.

Thanks,
Erik

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo DP290 Serial

I would ask him what he needs it for. I've been through my entire drivetrain without ever needing a serial number. But perhaps there is a good reason.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 290DP outdrive was not an option for the 260A, but it's not uncommon for people to put the DP lower on the 280 lower units. I did on my 260A, but I also replaced the 280 transom shield with a 290 so I could have trim.
The 280's did not have trim, only the electro mechanical lift.
Can you post a picture of your transom shield?

erikgreen

Captain

I'll attach a pic of the transom and engine.

The reason I identify it as a 290DP is that you told me that :) When I posted a pic before you identified the hydraulic trim cylinders and transom as a 290DP.

Maybe the engine was a retrofit? I got the model number off the valve covers, but they could have been replacements or something.

Pics:

View attachment 83208

View attachment 83209

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, that's a 290 DP all right, not sure what your mechanics problem is. The seal kits are the same for the upper units, and the DP lower all take the same kit. I assume he's never worked on a Volvo before ????
What year is your boat?

erikgreen

Captain

He claims to have worked on this very model before... it's a VP service center, listed on the Volvo web site.

I'll check with him and see if he's really as clueless as he seems. Too bad it's so hard to find someone to work on the 290 drives around here.

It's a 1986 boat, I believe.

Erik