"73" Chrysler~ sport fury I belive??

Ol'mopar

Cadet
Hello everyone, Well first off Intro I am new to this forum and I hope people on here are just as great as other forums I am proud to be apart of. Just on this one I?m sure to be a major noob lol. I finally have gotten a boat of my own; well will really be a joint effort with my brother. This is our first boat others in our family and friends have always had the boats and we?ve just got to enjoy them while were out.
So to business. I found this boat and got it for a steal. I believe it?s a 73 Chrysler 18' open bow inboard/outboard "sport fury", out of the lurking and research I have done this far. On the pink the yr is 0000 out and only says pleasure no model. The pink for the trailer says 73 so 2+2 right? So the info I have is it?s got a Volvo 170 straight six triple carb w/ Volvo 270 outboard. The guy said it runs but needs a water pump. Didn?t have any fuel lines on it so Idk yet. The glass has been worn thro on the deck and at the bow is very spongy so much so that with a lil force I was able to stick my finger through it. The rest feels pretty solid with the exception on the first piece back. So a new deck is in order I?m hoping that the stringers will be ok. So as I said this is my first boat have never done any real work to boats, but I?ve done lots of cars and trucks including restos.
So I?m looking for any help with verification on the model of this baby and help along the way in bringer her back to life or if she is of any value in the boating world. Sorry for the long winded post but I know the more info the better so now for pics?And keep in mind I bought her for 150 bucks!! With the trailer and these pics are after 2 days of cleaning ;) All info comments ECT welcome Thank you much!!

Attachments

• 2011-02-15_14-30-56_934.jpg
    2011-02-15_14-30-56_934.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-14_14-43-31_310.jpg
    2011-02-14_14-43-31_310.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-14_14-42-58_607.jpg
    2011-02-14_14-42-58_607.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-14_14-43-53_631.jpg
    2011-02-14_14-43-53_631.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-14_14-45-04_824.jpg
    2011-02-14_14-45-04_824.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0

Ol'mopar

Cadet
Re: "73" Chrysler~ sport fury I belive??

5 at a time

Attachments

• 2011-02-15_14-33-00_374.jpg
    2011-02-15_14-33-00_374.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-15_14-32-30_62.jpg
    2011-02-15_14-32-30_62.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-14_14-46-58_284.jpg
    2011-02-14_14-46-58_284.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-15_14-32-51_673.jpg
    2011-02-15_14-32-51_673.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-15_14-32-18_861.jpg
    2011-02-15_14-32-18_861.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll be pleased with the community here.

That's a neat hull. Chrysler was very innovative in their day and made some really cool boats. The first thing I would do is throw a post up in the I/O repair forum and ask about your motor and drive. Find out if parts availability is going to be a major issue with this model. Hopefully not. If it was an OMC I know you'd have problems but I just don't know much about older Volvos. I just don't want to see this being a money pit for you. (well they're all money pits but some worse than others :p). If it's deemed worth fixing up, I'd first get the motor running. Then tackle the boat. On a typical old fiberglass boat like this you'd be looking at a rotted deck, wet saturated foam, rotten stringers, and a rotten transom. All of this would need to be dug out, cut out and rebuilt. You may get lucky because Chrysler did some innovative things with their construction like fiberglass stringers and things like that depending on the year. Won't know till you get the deck out. We do have some Chrysler guys on here that may have a better idea how yours is built. Good luck!

Ol'mopar

Cadet

Thank you; for the info and quick reply. I will definitely go post over there. I?m hoping to go get all the info I can. With any luck One of those Chrysler guys well let me know what I?ve got like I said I?m not even sure on the model. I have found that the hall configuration is called the hydro-Vee its really cool looking. I?ve got my fingers crossed for somebody on this site that has one or has had in the past. Would you know where the hull identification # would be located? Other then the label/ tag on the back?

LilRedNeckGirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The name "Sport Fury" caught my eye. I just find it interesting, as Plymouth motor car company had a "Sport Fury" Model in the 1970's.

rickryder

Commander

A lot of the Chrysler boats have the same names as the cars.... I have a Chrysler Valiant Tri Hull

Ol'mopar

Cadet

Look thread Hijackers!! hahahaha JK, Yea from the reseach I have been doing I have noticed that many boats and car names has been the same in those yrs and that some of the engines are the same aswell

rickryder

Commander

Look thread Hijackers!! hahahaha JK, Yea from the reseach I have been doing I have noticed that many boats and car names has been the same in those yrs and that some of the engines are the same aswell

I didn't hijack your thread.....it was more like I ripped it off for a joy ride! :eek: :D:D

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

For a $150? If you can get the engine running its a score.. I had a boat from the 70's.. She was a rotten old thing but I got her running.. Had a lot of fun with her and sold her for 200 bucks more than I paid.. It was a tri hull, beat the snot out of ya on the lake when it's rough.. Hence I graduated to the V hull..

Attachments

• ebbtide.jpg
    ebbtide.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

The Hull ID is molded into the glasswork above where the ID plate is normally located, it is under the alum rub rail , you can trace it onto paper to get a title.
Its just to the right of the ladder.

Expect everything to be shot below deck and the motor mounts unless it was re-done already.

I would focus on the engine, get it running and take it out for a splash to see if you like it, nothing is gonna fall off if you take it easy.

I have the 20' commando version of that hull.
The 18' version is the commander but thats the center sonsole and you have a bowrider so it might have a different name.

Attachments

• 20footboat.jpg
    20footboat.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

Ol'mopar

Cadet

I didn't hijack your thread.....it was more like I ripped it off for a joy ride! :eek: :D:D

Lmao Man when I would grab something for a joy ride Id usually have more fun then that!! :D

For a $150? If you can get the engine running its a score.. I had a boat from the 70's.. She was a rotten old thing but I got her running.. Had a lot of fun with her and sold her for 200 bucks more than I paid.. It was a tri hull, beat the snot out of ya on the lake when it's rough.. Hence I graduated to the V hull..

YUP $150.00! ;) That?s awesome I?m hoping to do the same, actually that Id get quite I bit more and use that to toss at a newer model. Bigger and better Id love to have one of those Centurion wakeboarding boats lol but I?m in reality that?s a lllooooooonnnggg way off!

The Hull ID is molded into the glasswork above where the ID plate is normally located, it is under the alum rub rail , you can trace it onto paper to get a title.
Its just to the right of the ladder.

Expect everything to be shot below deck and the motor mounts unless it was re-done already.

I would focus on the engine, get it running and take it out for a splash to see if you like it, nothing is gonna fall off if you take it easy.

I have the 20' commando version of that hull.
The 18' version is the commander but thats the center sonsole and you have a bowrider so it might have a different name.

AHHHH Sweet! Thank you I need that to check it against the pink. As the CF# doesn?t match but it?s pretty typical around for people to swap those out along with the green sticker from a different boat so they can beat the reg costs lol. As this boat was last reg 10 yrs ago, I?m hoping that?s the case and not having the title to a different boat. But I did get good news from DMV yesterday that trailer was out of the system and just need to re-cert it pay current fees, the boat was the same 60 bucks plus title and tax fees.

Yea that?s what im gona do get her running and take her out, go putt around and see how she is. Now that I have all the info I can go into a dealer/shop and see what I can find out. How do these hydro-Vee hulls run and handle both at low and high speeds??

Thanks again everyone for all the info and comments, Great people on here I am definitely liking this forum.

Ol'mopar

Cadet

Heya guys quick update

Been working on the engine for the most part you can check that out on the I/O thread link now in my signature got her running:D. But I did pull up the deck in-between the bow seats and dig a whole about 6-7? in dia straight down to the hull. The first 2? or so of the foam was pretty saturated but after that it was all pretty dry I could barely fill any moister in it at all:eek:. I?m going to go ahead and pull the rest of the deck and check things out but I don?t think I need to go as far as re-foaming it, but we shall see. What do you all think thanks again for all info and thoughts:)

jonesg

Admiral

The foam in my chrysler is somewhat structural in that the deck sits on it with a couple of cross wise bulkheads.
Look at the pic in my signature, I cut the deck off and pulled the leaky tank.
The stringers were 3/4" ply x 8 feet long x 20 inches tall, I replaced them.
The walls of foam I left in the hull but I did run an elec chainsaw underneath the foam and removed the bottom 2 inches that was wet.
Now the foam can drain to the bilge area, the stringers have drain holes at the transom.
I replaced the cross bulkheads.
Don't know what your deck is made from , mine is glass molded liner , I re-cored it and glass it back all around.
Sounds like your deck is wood, just replace it if it is wood.

The hull rides decent, its stable at rest but will pound if you don't run it properly in a chop.
Its better than a typical tri-hull, once its on plane its the same as any deep V with a pad.
My transom was totally rotted, but there I was pounding and jumping 2-3' waves around the Boston harbour Islands ,
then I noticed the splashwell had cracked. When I cut the splashwell off I saw it already had patches where it was cracking in the corners.
Someone had patched it up but not repaired the transom or stringers. Proving patch jobs just don't hold up at all.
I went with a composite seacast transom. No mo wood.!
I didn't pop the cap but I would in future. Its easier in retrospect.
Strongly advise you to replumb and new bilge pump/s while you're in there .!
In the meantime install a water seperator if you don't have one. Todays fuel is junk and getting worse.

Ol'mopar

Cadet

Yes my deck is wood. I did see a cross wise section of ply under the deck that I pulled up between the bow seats. I am really looking forward to seeing what?s under there and figuring out how I?m going to redo the deck. I believe my foam is going to be ok and I should be able to get away with laying down fresh cross sections for the deck and lay it with out much trouble we shall see. I have one more thing to do on the engine but I?m sure compression will be ok. I got to take her out and run her she felt pretty strong and ur right very stable and handled really well although we did have smooth water so didn?t get into anything choppy. This build is on the right track. Can?t wait to make more progress.:D

?Strongly advise you to replumb and new bilge pump/s while you're in there .!
In the meantime install a water seperator if you don't have one. Todays fuel is junk and getting worse? ABSOLUTLY!!;)