charge power

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class
just bought a new Yamaha t9.9 elec start/remote,T&T
to use as a trolling motor on a pontoon. Spec says it puts out 6 amps wot. I would like to use its battery to run some accesories and a Cannon mag ten electric downrigger. It will be runing for long periods at slow trolling speeds, not wot, while we are using the downrigger. Can I connect one high capacity deep cycle battery to this motor and will its alternator keep it charged?? Accesories will be a small fishfinder and a marine band radio, nothing heavy. Spec on the downrigger only say 25amp max at 12 volts but its short duration spotty use only and only when the trolling motor is running. The boat, a landou20 ft originally used the same Battery to start the main engine,run the accesories and a plug up front for a trolling motor, but the main motor is a 55 hp Suzuki. Bigger alternator. Will the yammy do it or do I need a seperate bat for the downrigger. Thanks in advance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: charge power

You would really need the spec of the current at the rpm you are running at although it really sounds like the things you are running aren't heavy hitters anyway. Easy way to tell how well it does is check your voltage at the beginning of the day(12.6V is full charge) and measure the voltage at the end of the day after letting the battery sit with no load for 30 minutes and see where the voltage ended up at.