1983 evinrude yachtwin how to dismantle

larryboy89

Cadet
hi i have an 83 evinrude yachtwin and need to get the pistons out and change the rings but i don't have the manuel so i was just wondering if any one knows the steps or at least ho to get the flywheel off because even that is stumping me. It would help me out a lot and be much appreciated. Thanks
:confused:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1983 evinrude yachtwin how to dismantle

That's going to be a real nightmare without having a Service manual. I wouldn't suggest that you try that job unless you get the manual first. Even with the manual, you're going to have a ton of questions. Not trying to scare you here, just giving you a "heads up". Why do you think you need new rings? Is the compression low?

i agree, you should look into getting a manual before you do anything.

larryboy89

Cadet

That's going to be a real nightmare without having a Service manual. I wouldn't suggest that you try that job unless you get the manual first. Even with the manual, you're going to have a ton of questions. Not trying to scare you here, just giving you a "heads up". Why do you think you need new rings? Is the compression low?

im not sure on the compression but my buddy had the motor before me and said it froze up on him so i figured the rings and piston was shot. anyways thank you for the help i think ill get a manuel

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You might test the compression as a first step before considering any disassembly. Let us know what you find.