1972 9.5 johnson

Freeves

Cadet
this motor starts good and seems to run fine, but the bottom plug wire can be removed and it just keeps running... there is a small spark coming through wire but not much. can anyone help?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 9.5 johnson

If you are saying a spark is coming from the wire other than the tip when doing a spark check, then your wires are compromised from age, weather, or physical damage.

Best thing to do is change them.

Here are some articles posted here are iboats that will help you take the flywheel off and replace the wires your self. You will of course have to reset the points and re-torque the flywheel nut to 40 foot lbs.

Removing the flywheel

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338579

Removing the flywheel, points, coils, and condensers.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338579

You can only adjust 1 point at a time then you must rotate shaft to do the other ,you can't adjust them both at once as one is in the closed position and the other is in the open mode. The rubbing block must be on the high lobe of the points cam (points open) this would be the gap setting position, turn the crank by hand and observe the rubbing block while also watching the points open, the rubbing block will remain on the high spot for a few degrees of turning the flywheel before it drops back off. (Place the flywheel nut on the crank shaft and use a wrench or ratchet set to turn it.) Please make sure the spark plugs are out so you don't accident start the motor.

Don't forget to make sure there is an oil wick in place. Don't want to prematurely wear down the point shoes.

Harmonic balancer $15 to 20 at AutoZone, Napa and etc

torque wrench $20 to $30

Get 7mm metal core wires (napa is a good place....sells the stuff by the foot....cheap to. You can get the metal clips and boots for the ends as well.

Mark each of the old wires and new wires (top cylinder or bottom cylinder so you don't get them crossed.

You will have take off the mag plate that the coils, points and condensers are sitting on in order to replace the wires. You will have remove the coil and twist the coil onto the new wire and replace the coil back on the mag plate. JBJennings article should have that information. Make sure the the coils are aligned right.(see JBJennings article)

This seems like a difficult task, but it isn't. It just takes a little while the first go around. After accomplishing this and doing it yourself you will have save your self a lot of money. Even with purchasing the tools needed and the parts. Mechanics charge $85 to $100/hr for labor. It is also more difficult to find someone that is willing or knows how to work on these great running but older outboard.

I have three 9.5hps and they are good runners.

Good luck....there are bunch of 9.5hp experts on this forum. Iboats does have parts for your motor. Coils, points, condensors, water pump, impellers, spark plugs, plug wires and etc.

AlTn

Commander

I'd suggest you start out by reading "Points and Coils" in the sticky section "Top Secret Files"..

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Your motor can start easy and seem to run fine at idle with only 1 cylinder getting spark. It may even seem to run fine at full throttle except your top speed would be way less than it should be with both cylinders getting spark.

I had a 9.5 that started easy and ran "great" at idle and full throttle, EXCEPT I knew from prior experience I was losing more than 1/2 of my top speed. If I hadn't known how fast I should have been going I would have thought everything was normal.