joug??

panne

Recruit
does anyone know the specifics of how to build a rowing joug? i have some small cracks where my oar lock sockets mount and need to reinforce the area. i was thinking that since i have to add something why not set up the boat to row facing forward like a creole skiff. link to creole skiff> http://www.keithspirogues.com/skiffsanddugouts.html

around here you need to see where you're going or at least have a rear view mirror.

i'd like to row sitting and would like to calculate the right height for my 12' aluminum v hull and my size. i do recall seeing something similar on a flattened pirogue looking boat of asian decent that had the rower facing forward with about 1 foot high oar locks, but can't find the pics. i do remember the oars were not much more than 4 foot long. it sat really low in the water and wasn't very wide. math wise the oars were probably the right length.

i'm thinking that higher oar locks means i'd need a longer oar than normally used. i've found various formulas for calculating oar length, but none take into account the height of the oar lock from the water line.

any and all rowing wisdom will be greatly appreciated. all my experience is with one paddle inside a canoe or pirogue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: joug??

Rowing facing forward limits ones power. You have more strength pulling the oars rather than pushing. However, if that is not an issue and visibility is of greater concern then go for it.