Two questions on anti-foul and out-drives

mr. sandman

Cadet
Took a peak in the inlet vents and I can see barnacles and growth. I want to clean that out and hopefully paint it with some kind of anti-foul.

1) What is the best way to clean out raw water intake in lower unit? Do I need to split the upper and lower units?

2) What is the most effective anti-foul paint on out-drives. I have used the spray micron 33...I see they have it in cans as well, would brushing it on be more effective? Is there anything better?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Two questions on anti-foul and out-drives

I have an outboard (bottom of LU, bottom of bracket), swim ladder brace and trim tabs to paint. 2 years in a row I have followed the instructions on sanding, priming and painting, and used all the correct paints (at $30 a can!). It quickly just washes off as if it was never there. I asked around and the best answer I got was, you can never get antifouling paint to stick to metal. Good luck!

But as to painting in general, brushing is often better because it goes on thicker, and is not diluted in order to spray. If you've ever mixed your own for a sprayer, you basically put more thinner in than you would just to paint.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Two questions on anti-foul and out-drives

On MerCruiser Alpha drives, the gratings are removeable. Use a screwdriver to clean out the junk. If it is really bad you need to split the drive, and pull the waterpump base off.

I use Trilux antifouling paint on the outdrive. It requires a good basecoat of paint to protect the aluminum from the Trilux, but it works pretty good. I buy a 1/2 pint and brush it on. The 1/2 pt lasts a couple of seasons. I do not paint the water intake passage, but I do paint the outside of the gratings.