ETEC 250 history report

miro

Cadet
I'm interested in buying a used 2005 E-TEC 250HP with an "interesting" history report

I uploaded it http://pdfcast.org/pdf/history-rep-etec-250 - you can download and see and discuss

I've never had an Evinrude, but I remark a lot of faults on the engine AND I noticed it ran 17min on no oil??

What are you professionels thinking of this history report?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: ETEC 250 history report

Not sure exactly what the "no oil time" means, but BRP claims the E-Tecs can run up to two hours w/o oil and no damage will occur. Not sure I'd want to test that, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Do a compression test on all cylinders. You should get > 100 psig and even (+/- 5% deviation is OK).

I would ask a dealer to help intrep the results. I've had some short term overtemps on my E-Tecs caused by running in very shallow water and sucking up stuff that stuck in the stats. I would be more concerned about the very high top temps seen in each engine, but if the compression is OK, you should be good to go. The high EMM temp is also a concern, but if the EMM is still working, I wouldn't be too worried. The shift thing looks like something the owner just ignored and isn't usually a big deal to fix. It could be just an adjustment. I would check the engine carefully mechanically particularly the gearcase. Look for any water in the gear oil, metal chunks, etc. If it's possible, run the engine on the water at speed. Running on the hose won't tell you anything other than it will start and run.

I'm surprised your report isn't much longer. Typically there's a bunch of current status info, length of time spent in a number of different RPM bands, etc, etc. Most buyer of used engines do not have the ability to know any of the stuff that's in your report, so consider yourself lucky to know the actual engine hours and all that other stuff.

miro

Cadet

I'm surprised your report isn't much longer. Typically there's a bunch of current status info, length of time spent in a number of different RPM bands, etc, etc. Most buyer of used engines do not have the ability to know any of the stuff that's in your report, so consider yourself lucky to know the actual engine hours and all that other stuff.

hi jim, thank you very much for your great explanation - I think a compression test will say a lot about that engine - it was for me also very remarkable that the engine sometimes ran too hot - about that "no oil" thing, I didn't know that evinrude claims, but normal isn't it :) - if you download the pdf (red button down) you can see there's a second page with all status info about rpm and % of time

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The NO OIL code 38 happened 5 times many hours ago. Those early E-TECs had various false alarms due to sensor problems and improper bleeding procedures when set up. Even though the 5 alarms may have been false, they will remain in memory.

The things that concern are the overheats and the not coming up to temperature now. Start by replacing the thermostats and gluing the pressure relief valve grommet. A knowledgeable dealer will know what to do. There were also some changes and improvements in the early V-6 engine like yours, depending on serial number, so again a good dealer will check warranty history with the factory records and will know what to do with your motor.

The engine computer is set for the "reduced oil flow setting" which means you can only use Evinrude's XD-100 oil. If you want to use something else, have the dealer change the setting to use TC-W3 oils

The high number of shift assist error codes are probably due to corrosion buildup or stiffness somewhere in the engine shift linkage, bushings, or where the shift rod enters the gearcase. Improper adjustments or stiff cables can also contribute.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

improper bleeding procedures when set up.
Best answer as a lot of tech forget to pinch hose when bleeding.... Is this a salt water motor? If so it will explain the shifting and temp codes tripped.

miro

Cadet

it's idd a salt water engine and I can remember they don't use the XD100 but yamalube.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Yamalube is WAY BAD for a motor set up for XD100, the ONLY oil that should have been used. It would be interesting to know how long Yamalube has been used ... a really bad NO NO. Increases the need for compression test and extreme caution.

I tried downloading the complete report, but Acrobat came up with a damaged file error.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

miro......post the serial # I'll get on dealer port and see what I can find on warranty claims.

miro

Cadet

thanks very much - the serial is 5115052 - I don't think there is any warranty left

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Warranty was over in 08'

There are no warranty claims. The only thing I found was a engine software update.
Part# 3030341. And if you look at software ver on the report it list the part # 3030341. So your good to go.
The update was for/oil pulse detection/t.p.s out of idle range/high speed miss-fire.
If the price is right, go for it.
But I would get the code #28 looked at. And have the cooling system gone though.
Good luck.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

... and if you buy it, ditch the Yamalube and use nothing but XD100 oil, always, or you will smoke the motor.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

thanks very much - the serial is 5115052 - I don't think there is any warranty left

With that early a motor, there were deflector pin updates and possible thermostat bleed hole drilling updates along with exhaust cooling water mods. With the new pins, there was also a spark plug change.

See a dealer for the fixes - NO, they are not warranty any more - and especially to reset your oil program to TC-W3 !!!!!!

miro

Cadet

compression test is done, all cylinders around 100 - 110 PSI

asked the dealer on oil usage - XD100 is used, so no yamalube

what is a reasonable asking price?