*&^% cats!

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last season I started to slowly refurb the very well used trailer that came with my even more used Jon boat. One of the first things I did was to replace the boards and carpet that were there for guide ons. Really spent some time on it and it looked pretty nice - nicer than the rest of the rig, in fact.

Well, imagine my surprise to come out the other morning to see the carpet absolutely shredded on both sides of the trailer. I guess it might have been a raccoon or a possum, but my best guess is that it's one of the rotten neighborhood cats that also use my garden and flower beds as litter boxes.

Anybody else ever have this happen? I'd like to find some kind of non-lethal solution before I re-do them again. If nothing else, I guess putting some of the glue-type rat traps on top might deter them after a while but sure would look trashy. Just burns me up to have to do that again, I've got enough to do with the transom rebuild I'm in the middle of right now.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: *&^% cats!

No guarantees, but...
You can protect or prevent. To protect, cover your bunk boards with something the cats can't get through; maybe tie some scrap lumber on top of the carpet when the boats isn't on the trailer. To prevent, sprinkle some hot pepper on the carpet; it won't hurt the boat and it might give you some entertainment when the cats clean themselves after clawing your bunk boards.

Splat

Lieutenant

Have a heart trap set right near the axle. Or maybe some unbaited mouse traps?

Bill

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

As DBreskin said... Hot pepper. Get a big container of cayenne pepper and sprinkle it on the carpeted bunks. No permanent injuries, no cruelty, just a powerful lesson for the cat/cats. The pepper will irritate the pads on their paws and in between. As DBreskin also said, you'll have a good show if you see the cats lick their paws after stepping on the cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it around your garden, too. It'll deter most, if not all pest animals. You can also sprinkle it on the shrubs/plants to deter animals from eating them. Works well for vegetable gardens, too. Won't hurt the plants or fruits/veggies.

jonesg

Admiral

Set up a scratch post for the cat with old rug on it.

NYBo

Admiral

Spray some orange-based cleaner on the bunks.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'll run up to Big Lots or Sam's and stock up on the red pepper and give that a shot. Don't want to hurt 'em (much, anyway), just want 'em to find somewhere else to tear up.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

++2 on the red pepper. I grow hot pepper plants in the summer for the expressed purpose of making cat spray for the feral cats. Take a generous handful or two of cayenne or habenero peppers and put them in a blender of food processor. Put the mush in a covered glass jar and cover the mush with denatured alcohol. Let it set for a week, then strain into a gallon garden sprayer and fill with water. Spray around the house, the holes under the fence, their nice little napping spots, your garden where they crap, etc.....
WARNING: Do not ever get this in your eyes when preparing or spraying. Do not use this where little kids can get into it. And for God's sake, if you have to pee and you don't know if you got any of this concoction on your hands, HOLD IT UNTIL YOU WASH UP! This spray will also repel brown bears, right up to the point where they kill you and drag you off to eat. They will dump the sprayer over your corpse for seasoning.

64osby

Admiral

Fox scent on cotten balls placed on and around the trailer and garden.

Hate to see what happens when you are launching your boat and you touch the bunk and then rub your eye, might ruin a good day on the water. My .02

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

lol, just got rid of our neighbourhood cats this past year since a few foxes moved into the area, no more mice in the garage either :) If you can't get some foxes, a .22 will work...

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The pepper dust works well in bird food too, it will keep the squirrels out of your feeders. It?s quite interesting to watch when you get a new guy that thinks he found the holly grail of food sources. A sneezing squirrel running around with his nose buried in the grass is quite comical, and they will only do it once. Do not put a carpeted claw post out; your entire goal is to rid yourself of these pests?s not encourage them. Call your local animal control to see if you can trap and remove these uncared for animals, they are disease carriers and very dangerous.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Call your local animal control to see if you can trap and remove these uncared for animals, they are disease carriers and very dangerous.

Feral cat's are more skittish then aggressive and contacting an Animal Control Representative is an excellent idea. I would not suggest catching one (since they have recently sharpened their claws) ........it might be like handling a Cuisinart blade that is turned on!

Here is a nice fun device that catches people too!! :D http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Spray-Motion-Activated-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY

Moody Blue

Captain

I have zero tolerance for roaming cats. I don't leg my dog crap in other peoples yards and I don't tolerate cats in my yard digging up the gardens and pi$$ing on the car tires. I have used mouse traps, mothballs, repellents, set the dog after them etc but they kept coming back.

I then contacted the local animal control dept and they offered a live trap I borrowed. I set it each evening, caught a cat then dropped it off at the animal control office on my way to work in the morning. After several days that cats were gone. IF the owner were to claim the cat it cost them $40 and I could catch it again :D

D

DJ

Feral cat's are more skittish then aggressive and contacting an Animal Control Representative is an excellent idea. I would not suggest catching one (since they have recently sharpened their claws) ........it might be like handling a Cuisinart blade that is turned on!

I think "Cuisinart" is a soft description. It's more like trying to stuff a running chain saw into a bag while only touching the bar.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

They do make a good mount! :eek:
Before anyone jumps all over me, this one met a natural end under my shed....

Attachments

• OldCamera0003.JPG
    OldCamera0003.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 0

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Ive had cats for pets.but I think dogs are way better.I hate feral cats because they consume alot of wildlife; songbirds,rabbits along w mice etc.and they multiply quickly.A friend of mine had dozens and more all around his rural home.They were a big problem, for a while.A small can of tuna in a Have a heart trap will get them quickly.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been pepper sprayed and I can tell you it is not fun.

I sense there's a good story there, possibly not appropriate for the forum though. :D

I used to work as a bouncer so am very familiar with the residual effects of pepper spray too. Never got hit directly but was occasionally holding someone when they were. And you're right, it's no fun.

G

I find a hunk of lead works just fine for getting rid of *&^% cats PERMANETLY
The 22 caliber lead :D:D kind works the best!