johnson v4 115 seahorse 2 stroke

chrisyam68

Recruit
hi ive purchased a boat over the wkend and it has a v4 115 seahorse johnson outbord! could not get running at first! after removing the carbs and giving them a thorough clean and fresh fuel in the can it now runs lovely on tickover however when i turn the choke of it dies! if i leave the choke very slightly open it runs perfect on tickover! when i go to engage it into gear it does perfectly into both forward and reverse with ease! however when i open the throtle up more the engine just dies! any idears!

any help or advise would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

:):):)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson v4 115 seahorse 2 stroke

It's helpful for us to know what year/hp engine you are working on. OMC made crossflow 115's and looper 115's in the V4 configuration. If the engine runs fine with the choke partially on, it is running lean. There may still be a restriction/blockage in some of the carb passages. When you overhauled the carbs, did you disassemble them, remove all the jets for a visual check and blow out all the passages with an aerosol carb cleaner?

chrisyam68

Recruit

hi thanks so much for the quick reply! i have no idear what year or hp the engine is! is there any way of me finding that out? thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It's the model number on the serial plate which is coded with the model year. The older units have an aluminum strip riveted to one of the transom brackets. The newer models have a decal applied to the upper part of the midsection-above the water line. If you can find it, it is really helpful. Also, there is a quarter-sized casting plug on the top of one of the cylinders on the engine. Probably painted over, but the factory often stamps the same model number on that plug-have a look.